Dissolution of the RAF?

Should the RAF be placed in suspended animation?

• Yes

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the next SDSR being conducted, it got me thinking that perhaps we need to have a radical re-think about what we need in terms of capabilities.

I know that Tedder and others of his ilk did some fine stuff in WWII, but what have they really done for us since then. Yes, I hear you saying CAS and Strat Lift etc etc, but seriously, what capability do they have that we couldn't cover between the Army and the Navy. Their fast jet pilots have such considerable skill fade post HERRICK, that it would take at least a year to re-train them to air to air combat ready status. The rock apes are just that. Glorified MPGS for airfields. They are so deluded as to their value (just check out the RAF Regt Youtube video 5 miler and you'll see what I mean).

We already provided rotary and fixed wing pilots between us, as well as the rest of the CEGs. Sure, there may be some conversion training required for the pilots, but that's it. Their support structure is 24 to 1 for each pilot, which is just ridiculous. Just think of the RDEL and CDEL savings we could make.

Anyone else with me on this?

Where's the yawn button?

If we were to dissolve the RAF, who'd be the butt of >95% of the jokes on this site?

Aren't they self-dissolved anyway between Friday lunchtime to 1000hrs of a Monday?

Well in evidence to SDSR one person either gave them a shoeing by conflict or just did not mention them at all.

Another person advocated they lose rotary to the RAF. Mentioning that strike would be 50/50 RN / RAF.

If the RAF were disbanded would this mean we would no longer have access to their Tier 1 SF blokes ;)

Their fast jet pilots have such considerable skill fade post HERRICK, that it would take at least a year to re-train them to air to air combat ready status.
So the Typhoons currently providing Northern AD, as well as in the Báltic and the Tornadoes presently flying over the ME aren't Combat Ready?
What about the two poor souls lost just this week in Iraq?

An interesting viewpoint you have there.

With the next SDSR being conducted, it got me thinking that perhaps we need to have a radical re-think about what we need in terms of capabilities.

I know that Tedder and others of his ilk did some fine stuff in WWII, but what have they really done for us since then. Yes, I hear you saying CAS and Strat Lift etc etc, but seriously, what capability do they have that we couldn't cover between the Army and the Navy. Their fast jet pilots have such considerable skill fade post HERRICK, that it would take at least a year to re-train them to air to air combat ready status. The rock apes are just that. Glorified MPGS for airfields. They are so deluded as to their value (just check out the RAF Regt Youtube video 5 miler and you'll see what I mean).

We already provided rotary and fixed wing pilots between us, as well as the rest of the CEGs. Sure, there may be some conversion training required for the pilots, but that's it. Their support structure is 24 to 1 for each pilot, which is just ridiculous. Just think of the RDEL and CDEL savings we could make.

Not me.

However, it might be observed that:

The Army has boats (RE, used to be RLC/RCT) and aircraft - AAC.
The Navy have troops (RM) and aircraft (FAA).
The RAF have troops (RAF Regt), and used to have boats (Marine Branch).

So you could probably make an argument that any of the three services could potentially be subsumed by the others. It would, however, be a pile of shit, as arguments go.

RAF Regiment could swallow the army seeing how we are never putting boots on the ground again.

Give it 5 years and the entire army will be small enough to amalgamate into 1 regiment anyway.

Rocks could easily use them for Canteen Defending Duties.

Yes, well this ain't going to happen. Imagine the argument over new cap badges for the ex RAF Sqns, regimental precedence and who'd march on Whitehall when No XX Typhoon Squadron (Countess of Blankshire's Own) Loamshire Yeomany was tthreatened with amalgamation with 7/33 Chinook Squadron Tzarina Alexandra's Company of Halberdiers? I mean, really. There'd be no faux Victorian traditions to imbue the youngsters with, parrot fashion. And there's no horses, either (although the last mounted detachment of RAF Police plodded on until 1979).

Are you 12 years old or a thick as mince infanteer?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, if Jeremy Corbyn was PM, he would be looking at disbanding the RAF and the Army and the Royal Navy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.