Dissertation research: PTSD in soldiers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by christie.burton, Jun 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone.

I am currently at university studying History and about to start my dissertation. I would like to write about PTSD in soldiers, those who served second world war onwards, but I have been told I need a large number of soldiers to interview so that I can collect some useable data.

I am posting to ask if any soldiers would be interested in being interviewed about their experiences in the army, obviously in particular those who have suffered from PTSD. The questionnaires will ask specific information about experiences, mental health issues and possible family history to get a greater understanding of any problems.

There will be paperwork to sign; data protection etc and any soldier who is interviewed will need to be aware what they say may be used in my dissertation, which may in turn be published (if it's good enough). The questionnaire is currently being devised and will have to go to my university ethics committee.

Providing it all goes through I will be looking to conduct the interviews through July and August. Obviously without the soldiers help it won't happen, but I am hoping there will be enough people out there who want to.

Many thanks in advance

Christie

2. Sadly the vast majority on here who are not Civvies & Cadet Instructors would have been in when it was called “Lack of Moral Fibre” so you may be out of luck :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I helped a lady a few years back with her paper on Crime & PTSD within the forces/ex-forces community.

She very kindly sent me a copy of her paper once it was done. I can send it to you if you like? Job done!

4. You'll have a hell of a time convincing some of us that you'll manage to keep data safe and details anonymous. When will you have a copy of the questions you'll want answering? Posting that up will give people a better idea of what you expect from them.
    Are you expecting to interview in person, over the phone, over the internet? How will you guarantee that you are getting answers fron genuine ex/serving personnel?
    How many people do you need in your study group?

5. Most of them would have bottled it up. The label "PTSD" is quite a new description for it.

6. The reason for posting this was to get an idea of whether soldiers would actually be willing to speak, which I can see is going to be much more difficult than I had first thought.
    The paper on Crime & PTSD may be useful so yes, you can email it to me, although I am not actually looking at levels of crime.
    I cannot convince anybody of anything and it would be your choice to participate in the interviews, however, the whole point of the exercise and hopefully the research is to make a point that PTSD is an occurance that is overlooked in the army and that no person whether they chose the profession or were conscripted should have to suffer with an illness that they cannot then talk about. PTSD or however else you wish to put it: desertion, cowardness, neurosthenia, neurosis, psychosis, depression, combat fatigue; was recognised as a legitmate condition by the army in 1989.
    I would prefer to conduct the interviews face to face, but over the phone would be just as possible and I would hope that anybody who wants to be involved would be genuine.
    I'm not sure on size of the group as it stands, I have 6 ex-service so far but I have to have enough to make the results quantifiable.

7. Here's an idea - try not to equate PTSD with cowardice. That would be a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The way I see it, from a WW2 perspective is that men and soldiers were expected to have a "stiff upper lip" in those days. Also, most young soldiers would not want to worry their mothers, wives or girl friends by confiding in them about the horrors they had seen or experienced.

9. To use the terms you have I'd question your abilities.

10. ...but it's not 'overlooked', and there is little evidence to suggest that it is.

11. Surely that's the point? What was known as Lack of Moral Fibre with a symptom being cowardice or desertion has gradually, as we have become more enlightened, become known as Battleshock, Combat Fatigue & then PTSD.

12. Soldiers are not the only profession to have experienced this during war.

Royal Navy and Merchant Navy, and also RAF personnel could have experienced it as well. And please do not forget Fire fighters and civilians who were bombed.

13. The enlightenment led directly to the disassociation of "cowardice", whatever that means, from PTSD rather early on. I'm surprised that the OP bungs the 'C' word in her list.

14. Quite right SFUB you fish supper scrounging fat trickster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. You will probably find that most people who are qualified do not want to talk about it.

• Like Like x 1