Dissertation help required!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sotonstudent, Feb 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi!

I'm hoping you might be able to help me.

I'm in my final year at Southampton uni and am writing a dissertation on sexual assault in warfare.... I know, a pretty awful subject and, yes, I can ruin a good party in about 5 minutes flat.

However, I'm looking at all these different social theories that have been proposed following Bosnia and Rwanda and realise not ONE theorist has thought to ask the military why they think it happens.

Now OBVIOUSLY the British Army is not known for this but my Czech is somewhat lacking and, following a brief talk with someone just back from Afghanistan, I thought your opinions are still worth more than those who have NEVER been in a combat environment.

Number one: I don't want to offend anyone. Not in anyway am I suggesting that you guys would have attacked women etc- like I said, I'm specifically looking into Bosnia and Rwanda for my dissertation.

BUT assaults DO happen in the military and, having read 'Mass Rape' by Stiglmayer, I (in my idealistic youth) would very much like to try and put a stop to it in future wars.... And you guys might have the insight I'm looking for.

Basically, I have drawn up a survey and would love it if you took the time to HONESTLY fill it out... Some questions are borderline controversial BUT it's all entirely anonymous. It will be confidential and not used outside of my dissertation..... But it IS pivotal to my dissertation so all help would be very much appreciated!

The link for the survey is:

*edit* please PM me is you would like to partake.

Many thanks in advance,

Kat.

2. unbelievable!!!
    i thought i had seen everything on this site

what kind of response do you seriously expect from the members who use
    this site?

3. Let's hope Geordie Blerk doesn't do it

4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Might want to look into how the red army acted during the final offensive of ww2. I think Anthony Beevors Armageddon has a lot about this (he did write that book didnt he? Or was it max hasting?)

5. hey Kat,

Sounds like an interesting topic you have. Unfortunately I do not have any experience or this subject matter but wish you the best of luck. I'll pass your survey on to a few friends of mine that don't use the site.

You may want to change the thread title though.

You will indeed as Fusiler said, get some idiotic repsonse, just ignore them as you will get some very good and informed responses aswell.

It might be in your interest to remove the link to the questionaire and get people to PM you for it. You may well get some idiots filling it in in a jokey way.

Hope it all goes well.

edited to add:

I think in some civil wars / uprisings rape of women was used as a tool of genocide. They would kill all of the men. Soldiers would infect themselves with HIV and rape all of the women in order to pass it on to them and any children they had in future. I can't for the life o me remember where this happened but I think it was 80's / 90's in an African country.

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

fcuk off journo

If you are for real, get in touch with the COs, prove your worth and get one of them to vouch for you.

PS your questions are leading, **** (what does 28 mean?) and you expecting them to be sent to a insecure HOTMAIL address?! Loon

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I just looked at your survey cos I was bored - you are on a different planet :meditate:

If you return to earth you will find the subject well documented in relation to the Balkans.

8. I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.

A quick look at the questions leaves me in little doubt that as well as collecting the info you claim to be looking for, you also appear to be collecting an awful lot of unrelated information:

1. sexual preferences in the forces.

2. the effect military training has on both preceived masculinity and aggression.

3. cases of sexual discrimination in the forces

4. attitudes toward females working in the forces

5. numbers of unreported sexual offences that may have happened

6. members of armed forces committing physical and sexual assaults

... and many more.

For a student in their final year who is writing a dissertation, you also seem to have a surprisingly bad grasp of both grammar and spelling.

Perhaps if you were to revisit the survey and reduce the number of questions and improve their relevance to what you claim to be researching, you may get some responses.

9. Thanks for the advice, think I will remove it.....

I was mostly hoping to break down some stereotypes, which I thought might be of interest.

Yes, I agree the questions are limited BUT i felt to start talking about various theories might get too indepth- by all means if someone wants to discuss the cultural pathology or strategic theories or the biosocial theory, then by all means, PM me.

That's also why I put a comments box at the end, for those who had other ideas why it happened.

I set up a general email because I didnt want people to have my personal email address- which I pleased about following some of these comments.

Thanks for those that have been helpful tho!

10. Kat, you would be surprised at the depth of knowledge of Soldiers, even those with no formal academic qualifications.

Yes , their spelling and grammar may leave something to be desired in some cases, but never underestimate the ability of a Soldier to engage with you on a subject.

Especially when couched in terms he can readily understand and reply to.

11. To save anybody going to the trouble to PM Kat only to find that they're faced with a form that they will decline to complete, here's an abridged version.

For a dissertation supposedly based on Rwanda and Bosnia, it seems a little surprising that only one question relates to these areas (Q29), while the remaining questions ask about the psychological impact of military training and asks for details of the respondent's OWN TROOPS guilty acts.

I may have missed a bit somewhere, but I'm not aware of any questions relating to whether the respondent has witnessed the crimes or impact of crimes committed by the antagonists to whom he has been providing a peace-keeping service.

Perhaps Kat would care to provide a link to her university faculty so that it can be confirmed that this is a bona fide dissertation?

12. As far as I am aware, it would have been against most ethics commitee guidlines to lie about her intentions and the aims of this study.

There are a number of questions on here that give cause for alarm, but then this.

Maybe Kat could also post a link with regards to her request for ethics approval, too.

13. Shouldn't be a problem to link to the uni - open uni actually encourages it and with many aquintances at Southampton verifying this could be good for you!!

14. Worryingly, it's not standard practice to get ethics committee approval for u/g dissertations like this. This is either something a little sinister or has been incredibly poorly thought out as a piece of research.

15. Also this book would be interesting in this context.

http://www.palgrave-usa.com/catalog/product.aspx?isbn=023050647X