Dismount drill

Discussion in 'RAC' started by mucus2, Apr 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone explain the dismount drill to me? In particular, why the horse has a cheeky little slap?

As seen at Horseguards over the weekend.
  2. Dont you always give the filly's that you dismount a little slap for a job well done?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. True, but was just wondering what the point of it was like? Stirrups 2,3, belt horse 2,3, ect
  4. Exactly as the noble hussar pointed out,we pat/make much the neck of the horse, it tells him well done and his job is over the foreseeable future. Its all point of the routine thats the 'osses like.

A full regimental dismount, when done properly, is much more impressive.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I agree, 4 divisions of 24 men on the square all doing together does look good, but even funnier is the sound after the Trooping when you get the Ahhh..... as the blood flows back to parts of your body you'd thought had dropped off!

The other things is that there has to be a way to get up to 100 men off safely, due to the fact your in State kit and it ain't the easiest stuff to move around in. For example, once when dismouting in riding school during kit ride (Ride 6 days a week for 4 weeks in state kit, after 16 weeks of riding school, or it was in my day) we weren't all in the fully correct positions, therefore I was kicked in the bollocks by the horse to my front and right.

I cried, I cried lots, not screaming, just lying on the floor sobbing to myself. It was 3 days before I could walk properly again.

One day I'll buy some horse meat and think of that 2 Troop LG **** of an animal while I'm eating it. And or those who know HCMR, It wasn't Sennelager - but he did once head butt me!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cracking post.

I do not feel your pain.

I am very happy to say.

• Like Like x 1