Disk space

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by devilish, Jun 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right I'm a bit of a biff with these things so bare with me.

I am starting to get regular reminders on my computer to do a disk clean up, which I do and it is only freeing up a small amount of disk space.

According to the properties on my local disk(C:) I've only got less than half a GB left on a 40GB disk yet my other local disk(D:) has 34.2 GB left of a 34.4 GB disk. Help!

I've emptied every temp folder and the likes including recycle bin etc etc.

It's not like I've got a lot of music or movies on the thing, infact I only ever stream movies in so there shouldn't be anything on the disk!

Confused of Hull.

edited because i wrote half meg instead of gig.
  2. How big is your "My Documents" folder? That can be moved to your D drive.

Also, try doing a search for files from the Advanced Search function in Windows Explorer - use the size feature and start at > 10MB. You may well find plenty that can be got rid of.
  3. Several things you can do:-
    1.Uninstall any programs you have installed on C drive and reinstall then on D.
    2. Install something like Easy Cleaner

The two most useful buttons are on the right (Piccy), Clear files(internet temp) and Unneccessary files, it will find all sorts of shit. You may press 'Delete all' with confidence for two reason:-
    a. It only puts the files in the Recycle Bin
    b. It will not delete any files that may be in use.

If there are no problems after a reboot, empty the R/Bin.

3.You can move your page file to Drive D.

Just a few things to be going on with.
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I'd go with a combination of the above; ie move your Docs folder and Page file on to your D Drive.

Also check to see if you have system restore running, that can take a huge wedge of space up.
  5. Considering your predicament of 500MB or less on the C:\

1. Empty the content of your temporary internet files from your web browser.
    2. Delete all the cookies stored in your web browser.
    3. Check disk space.
    4. Search for temporary files (*.tmp) which can be anywhere and delete those.
    5. Empty recycle bin at this point.
    6. Check for available disk space.
    7. If it has improved, do a scan of the drive with your disk defragmenter. If there is lots of red - defrag. This can also recover some disk space.

What OS are you using?
    What office suite do you have installed?

Both of the above might be keeping install files as part of the update status which you can now delete.

Did you computer come with CDs/DVDs with the OS/Apps you have installed? If not is there an area on the HDD where there are recovery versions?

Reduce your internet cache to maximum size of 300MB

Just a few thoughts :)
  6. What about the annoying swap file? That can fairly eat up the allocation.

7. CC Cleaner mate. Download it.
  8. I f he new what the "swap file" was all about, I doubt he would have posted this question. Numb nuts.
  9. If you're using Windows XP, open up Windows Explorer. Click on the Tools menu and select Folder Options. Click on the View tab then select Show Hidden Files and Folders".

Once you've done that go to your named folder in the Documents and Settings folder. You'll now see a sub-folder called Local Settings. In there, depending on your release of XP you should find a Temp folder and a Temporary Internet Files folder. You can delete the contents of both.

You will also find a whole load of previously unseen folders in your Windows/Winnt folder. They'll all start $ntuninstall. I tend to keep only those dated within the previous 3 months. Delete the rest.
  10. Ahh, perhaps, just perhaps, the point was made to others that were offering up advise but had not yet mentioned it. This would then produce some more thinking and perhaps give the OP a better insight to his predicament. Or, how about this little teaser, it may get the OP's attention and he/she could toddle off to the great wisdom of t'interwebs and find out all about it and become even less biffy about 'puters.

Now, has that lifted the fog from around your high ground?
  11. LMAO.............................no
  12. A bit harsh jinxy. The swap file is the first thing the OP should be learning about and moving to the empty partition, both to save disk space on the C drive and to improve performance of his OS.
  13. Not really, if you want to increase perfomance. The swap file needs to go to the fastest drive and be at it's four front.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Well there is the minor technical point that Windows hasn't had a Swap File since 3.11, and the proper file has already been suggested twice! :D
  15. WTF?!?! pagefile.sys, anyone??