Disk Management - not all that helpful

I guess this is more h/w than sw, so here goes...

I have an armful of hard drives and want to a: check them for content and b: put them to good use. On my Win10 PC I can see the drives in Disk Management, and they appear as online in disk management and partitions can be seen. However, there is no right-click functionality to rename/resize/delete these partitions; it's greyed out. In the file explorer view these drives do not appear.

I'm in as admin.

1: What am I doing wrong?
2: is there better Disk Management software than this unhelpful Win10 experience?

Thanks!

V_M

ancient_lbv

Old-Salt
Are the partitions showing as a particular filesystem type? Where di the drives come form? Out of a PC or could they have come from a server or storage array and have been part of a RAID set?

Finally, does running diskpart from a command prompt give you any more info?

There is a download somewhere of a free load of DOS programs that can be booted from startup. It includes gparted, seagate hdd tools Fdisk etc. I will look through my pile of discs when home.
It all comes under one name and has about 50 utilities on it for- cloning, repair, partition, mbr,... stuff that requires a beard.

I used it when experimenting with linux and buggered things up by going under the hood more than I ought.

It’s “ultimate boot cd”

Are the partitions showing as a particular filesystem type? Where di the drives come form? Out of a PC or could they have come from a server or storage array and have been part of a RAID set?

Finally, does running diskpart from a command prompt give you any more info?
I know precisely which ones are RAID, they are the ones with proprietary Dell connectors and so I can’t plug them in!

I’ll have a play with diskpart, too...

Thanks all, some things to be getting on with there - will report back!

I guess this is more h/w than sw, so here goes...

I have an armful of hard drives and want to a: check them for content and b: put them to good use. On my Win10 PC I can see the drives in Disk Management, and they appear as online in disk management and partitions can be seen. However, there is no right-click functionality to rename/resize/delete these partitions; it's greyed out. In the file explorer view these drives do not appear.

I'm in as admin.

1: What am I doing wrong?
2: is there better Disk Management software than this unhelpful Win10 experience?

Thanks!

V_M

Disk management in WinX is abysmal. I ran a Chkdsk against a known failind drive the other day via right click and it came back good in 5 seconds. BS. I ran it in DOS and it did it properly taking hours to complete (1TB drive).

There are loads of great drive management programs out there. One I came across recently is called DiskGenius. It should do what you want to do. It does everything. Formatting, Partitioning, MBR rescue, data recovery, encryption, back up to Virtual machines in the format of both VMWare and VirtualPC iirc - it may do VirtualBox as well.

They do a free version, but they also do a more expensive version, and an even more expensive version than that again - 100 bucks!

There are other programs though.

Sorry, but your use case of: " a: check them for content and b: put them to good use." is not very useful.

That could mean anything.

If you were more specific about what you wanted to do I could point you in a more useful direction. But for now, just check out DiskGenius. It's not much money if it fits what you want to do.

The program is free and does a lot. If you need the extra features you have to pay to play. But it's small tatties.

There is always Hiren's and DigiWiz, but it may not be what you want.

I'm getting big in to hard drives this year as they go up in price. Two of the three big manufacturers have closed facilities down. It's all going to SSD and NAND. I just bought a shit load of them in anticipation. SSD and NAND is just getting cheaper everyday even though it fluctuates.

Old Hard Iron doesn't get any cheaper from here.

Anyway, you asked for 'Disk management software' - DiskGenius is about as good as it gets.

But I have dozens of other programs that do quite a bit as well.

I'm not at home now. But hit me up via PM and I'll just copy you my whole HD testing folder over - it's all pretty much free stuff - the paid stuff is trial - no cracks I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure I've got something that will do what you want to do, and it won't cost anything. And it'll be legit.

Be more specific.

I think the latest distros of Linux Mint will have it as well. (GParted).

Debatable whether you should just get the distro from Distro Watch and boot from that, bypassing any other stuff.

DistroWatch.com: GParted Live

Then again, you could always just mount it as an .iso under winX if you feel differently. :)

Personally, I pay a very small amount for a great distro called Partition Magic. Lots of disk testing tools. Forgot about that one. Partitioning , erasing, recovery of MBR, changing file system formats (NTFS, FAT32). SMART.

Come to think of it, to my untrained and inexperienced eyes, it's probably the best disk management software out there. From a general viewpoint.

It also finds your network wireless card straight away and connects to the net, flawlessly. At least on the few systems I tested it on. It was a first for that. Handy when you need to get advice.

It's why I first donated to the project before having to pay for it when they updated it.

Cost me a fiver or sommat.

DistroWatch.com: Parted Magic

Take it easy with some of the tools though. They can be a bit destructive, shall we say. Probably doesn't matter on a fresh virgin drive, but still, there's probably some way to **** it up.

Latest Threads