Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dishonourable Discharge question

Astro42

Swinger
Hi there, before you read this please note that I understand I am an idiot for doing what I did and regret it more than anything in my life.

I was booted out the RAF last April for failing a CDT during basic, over Christmas i smoked some of a spliff while I was out drinking, after Christmas leave i was found positive at 15ng with a urinalysis test. I was taken before an office and i contested the case, pleading it as a huge mistake and begging for another chance, after 9 weeks of meetings with various officers they decided not to support my case even though it seemed to be going well.
I really enjoyed the life that I experienced and was looking forward to starting a career in the forces.

After being told the news I asked whether or not a career in the forces would be possible in the future, they said maybe not in the RAF but possibly in other services. the MOD states that getting a DD for failing CDT usually means never getting back in, but that depends on the individual and how useful they would be to the military.

I did really well during basic and had a promising career laid out, I'm just asking now for opinions and experience around the subject of rejoining, has it happened before? Should i walk into the careers office and ask about it? or is it a waste of time. I check the Army website every day and it seems i can apply for reserves for some reason but nothing else, i don't know why this has changed.

I have so much determination to get back in to the forces no matter what the role, i just want the lifestyle. Thank you in advance for any advice or experience I receive.

Camm1

LE
I have no experience of this, others on here may have experience of similar situations and advise differently.
I would got to the Army careers office and explain it all, and I mean ALL, and see what they say. You have to be completely honest with them and leave nothing out, you will at least then know where you stand.

In mitigation you could say you believe it was gods way of stopping you joining crab air!

Good luck.

Astro42

Swinger
Don't judge me based on one mistake, I do regret what happened very much but I don't believe that makes me a bad person but I appreciate your comment.

So you didn't even make it through basic before being caught? I have no sympathy, the policy on drugs is something that would have been made abundantly clear to you. With good reason the RAF think that maintaining aircraft, handling weapons, operating machinery or whatever is incompatible with substance abuse and the other Services agree. Still, it's only a "lifestyle" you're missing out on...

Make sure you dress smartly, clean shaven, etc, etc, just like going on Sgt Majors parade.

Just out of interest and not to start a discussion: Were you charged and convicted of anything, did it leave you with a criminal record of ANY kind?

If you are clean you could always join the Legion, or get yourself a trade and then emigrate to Australia and join up over there.....nicer weather.

We all make mistakes, I just find it disgusting that the powers that be kicked you out for drugs and in the same breathe told you to apply for the Army, cos clearly we'll take anyone.
Yeah but best of luck though

Astro42

Swinger
I was wondering about dress, I will take that advice thank you :) and no, no convictions or anything which would affect my civilian life. Just DD, and I actually did consider the legion strangely.

We all make mistakes, I just find it disgusting that the powers that be kicked you out for drugs and in the same breathe told you to apply for the Army, cos clearly we'll take anyone.
Yeah but best of luck though

Those rough chaps wot wear green...........

Astro42

Swinger
Charlie as much as i appreciate your comments don't you think I regret this enough without you adding to my misery, I only ask for constructive advice and experience not trolling, thank you.

I was wondering about dress, I will take that advice thank you :) and no, no convictions or anything which would affect my civilian life. Just DD, and I actually did consider the legion strangely.

Spliffs aside, good luck and be absolutely, totally honest. If you do get in take it as a life lesson and never get caught smoking weed in the army as it's likely that your colleagues will gently kick the living crap out of you.

To be fair I think they are taking anyone

When I joined Boadecia's Supply and basket weaving corps and I went through Sutton Coldfield we actually had a lad who was caught smoking weed in the washroom at about 02.00hrs. He got a bit of a kicking because the Duty Staff turfed us all out of bed to do a sniff test on everyone.

He did'nt make it in.

Best of Enemies.

Absolutely cracking during the 1968 convention.

Latest Threads