Dishonerable discharge and pension rights

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by ExRegAndy, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a mate who as done 20 years in the Army and is looking at a custodial sentence... for a minor fracas How will this affect his pension rights? Is he still entitled to his pension at 60 and will he get hi 10 or 12k for leaving? Does anyone know how to find out the truth as no one can seem to get to the bottom of this one?
  2. It will not affect his pension as he will be eligable for his time served and no one can take that away from him..
  3. I'm sure I have seen a previous thread about this subject which had some really good info..............wait out. :wink:

Edited to add: I’ve done a quick search and can’t find it.

IIRC it said that you don’t get paid your Army pension while doing porridge in civvy nick although I could be wrong? (as usual :roll: )
  4. Thanks for your quick reply.... Where would you find the official answer on this? It must be written down somewhere..? this is for the old pension system 1975?

So at 20 years the soldier in question would -
    get his reduced gratuity?
    Also would get his pension at 60 with another lump sum?
    Would this be automatic?
    And as you said while in porrige there would be no payment however this wouldnt count at the 20 year point as he hasnt qualified for the full pension rights of immediate pension payments?
  5. Just to let you know what happened to me, I jumped ship with just a year or so left, handed in my notice after reduction in rank. When I left I just got my resettlement grant and that was it. Now, after reaching my 60th birthday :D last week I got my graturity and pension for the years done. Thank you Glasgow, nice and smooth :D .

6. well glad you got sorted out mate... thanks for the threads!
  7. No lump sum for leaving before the IP point (ie 22). His pension starts when ever (I thought it was at 55 but may be wrong).