disgusting fatbody, any PTIs with advice??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CivPlod, Jun 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a disgusting fatbody according to army standards on here.

I am 31 and just under 14 stone, (not fat though).

Training wise I cycle to work 9 miles there, 9 back 5 times a week.
    Add to that 4 hours of judo randori a week and a circuit training twice a week on my lunch break.

When I was 21 after 18 weeks at the police college my best time for the mile and a half was 10.10, ten years later no matter how hard I train(by dropping some of the aforementioned training) at running by doing fartleks and 10ks (which I do in 40 mins) I still can't beat an 11 min 1.5 mile??? I just end up putting on weight when running and go back to my training above.

I am due to transfer over to the R.M.P(V) from the R.N.R straight to phase two next month and I bricking at the thought of the PFT 1.5 mile( the press ups and the BFT dont phase me, I can do them). Diet wise I dont drink or eat crap TBH.

Any ideas on how I stop being a fatbody and at least get a 10.20min 1-.5 mile?

Help!!

2. Join the Airborne, its mega

3. Run faster you slacker.

4. There is no magic formula ?? if amount put in exceeds the amount expended then you end up a fat git. Cannot believe though that with that amount of p.t. a week you remain overweight, do you mean TANDOORI??

As for the 1.5 miles it is a distance that always screwed me ,i can run but don't get warmed up or in my stride for about 10 minutes, the way i played it was just to latch onto one of the racing snakes, you know the sub 8 min guys, no way i could keep up, but if you can keep in touch part of the way you should come in ok, absolutely fc*kd but safe, good luck :D

5. Stop eating everything!!

6. Not a PTI but being built for comfort rather than speed, I know a thing or two about having not run fast enough on occasion :oops:

I can only guess as to your build/ height etc but I'd suggest fat-burning runs of at least 45 mins if you do need to lose any weight, together with intervals to improve your speed. I don't know the exact 'proper' formula if there is one, for fartlek, but by intervals I mean repeatedly sprinting then jogging for recovery.

I'm currently regularly running a 5-mile route, about 2 miles of which follow a fairly busy main road. You can make up your own rules, but every time a silver car passes I sprint for 10 seconds, for transit vans or similar it's 10 press-ups, anything bigger 10 burpees. That means I get some variety and it's incentive to get a wiggle on and get off the main road. Then the route goes into undulating countryside - sprint up hills (or at least run with a sense of purpose) - then jog down.

Other than that I don't know where you're going wrong - maybe you just need to nail yourself a bit harder at whatever you do, in order to gain the benefits.

7. Go to your storeman and sign out a spine.

8. Civplod

Sounds like you've got the fitness, you just need the limb-speed. I'm not a PTI but I've done loads of jogging.

I'm 47, 12 stone and last week ran a PFT in 8mins 58secs.

Go to a running track and, seeing as 6 laps is 1.5 miles, do sprint training. I started with multiples of 100 metre with recovery intervals in between. Don't spend too much time on 100s, I used them to get used to speed work.
    Progress through 100s to 200s to 400s. For me 400 is the starting building block, I mean you need to be able to run 400m at the pace you need for your target 1.5 mile time.

To clarify that waffle, I wanted a 9 min PFT so I had to be able to run 1 min 30 sec x 400metres consistently.
    This meant I had to be running 45 sec x 200metres and 22 ish second x 100 metres. These split times gave me the targets to aim for when I was doing my build up track work.

So, you know the time you want to do your PFT in, break it down into 400m blocks and work on that time first by building up through the necessary 100m and 200m sessions.

As I said earlier, it sounds like you've got the fitness, you just need the limb-speed. Without wishing to appear rude/get into eggsucking, you may need to build your stamina to match the exertion of running at your target 400m pace for 6 laps of the track without recovery intervals. You are starting to work on this from your first "on pace" 100m session. Again, as I said before, don't stay too long on the 100s and 200s, these are just a method of getting up to 400s.

Once I'd got to my 1min 30sec x 400m pace I'd go to the track and work on a couple of laps warm up, stretch, 6 x 400m "on pace" with recovery gaps between each (say slow jog 400m), then a couple of laps cooldown then stretch a lot. That little session works out to be 16 laps. As I worked through my training programme I reduced the recovery to 300m jog, 200m jog, 100m jog and then, because you'll want to remove the element of doubt that you can actually do your target, once a week go to the track and do 6 laps at your target pace, pat yourself on the back and go home.

Depending on how you're handling the track sessions, I would do 2 per week. One sesh of either short sprints or 400m plus recovery intervals and the 2nd sesh of 400s, 800s 1200s and 1600s all with recovery.

Sorry to have drizzled on, but that routine worked for me. That 1 30 pace hurts but I've never seen anybody finish their PFT and go "piece of pish, that", whatever speed they've run it at.

Good luck, let me know if that routine suits.

I've noticed that having done a lot of that short track sprinty stuff, my average comfortable steady state running speed improved a lot as well.

9. Is it possible you're relying too much at cycling? I like both cycling and running as cardio, when I do cycling as my only exercise for a few weeks when I try running again I'm in bits no matter how hard I've been training and visa versa (but to a lesser extent).

I'm not a PTI so maybe someone better qualified knows why this is.

10. Be very cautious of just cycling, it really shortens your hip flexors muscle (control leg raise action), always stretch the groin after (footballer stretch, lunge).

11. Mate,

Maybe you're just meant to be a fat copper! :)

Doing 10.20 shouldn't really be that hard, even for a self proclaimed fatty.

Cut down on your calorie intake, then,

Find yourself a mate who can run & motivate you at the same time, or if you've got money to spare, a personal trainer, who is a runner & not a poseur.

12. why u doing 10k runs??? To get a good time for your 1.5 miler then you have to train for that purpose fartleks is one of the best exercise for this maybe your doing them but not to the high intensity needed. And as for your weight hows your diet ? yeah not eating shite or drink? but eating 3 big meals wont cut it try eating smaller meals 6 times daily evenly spread throughout the day allows your body to keep burning calories through the day.

13. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Training to achieve physical goals requires three main efforts - fitness, strength and flexibility.

Fitness is achieved through building cardio including breathing training to increase lung capacity - you won't be so breathless so quickly.

Strength is gained through muscular exercises such as squats, press ups, lunges, standing jumps, burpees - can aid in cardio but will be the muscles which give in first.

Flexibility is increased through static, dynamic and isometric stretching - include it in your training programme and maintain the development to help prevent injuries.

Other than that, enjoy the variety and do eat a little less if you are putting on the pounds.

14. 60% Mental

40% Physical

Physical fitness isn't everything, you've gotta have the will to keep pushing yourself faster and refuse to give up.

Edit: This is just the way i think about it, home it helps :D

15. I've just ordered a 15" pepperoni plus pizza mmmmmmm