Discussion for watches in Phase 1 Training

I would say cheap Casio or G shock
My Troop boss didn't like g shocks as the face lit up and was very visible if people were scanning with image intensifiers etc
Saw a guy with a red backlight G-Shock the other day, dunno the model, olive drab case and strap as well. I would stick to black personally, but basically any G-Shock will be more than enough.

Saw a guy with a red backlight G-Shock the other day, dunno the model, olive drab case and strap as well. I would stick to black personally, but basically any G-Shock will be more than enough.
I can remember my mate getting a nice camp Parker pen from his parents in basic. He put it down on the grass during the first field lesson and that that was the last we saw of that.

Well if the OP finds himself at war with a near peer enemy during basic training, he should avoid wearing one, until then, the facilities offered by your average Casio/G-Shock are hard to beat.
In my defence the training team did use NVGs from First step all the way to field firing ex as when one of my oppos decided to spark up a fag in his bivvy, we all got thrashed as a cigarette being lit shows up as a nucflash in NVG

Last edited:
Just seen Chernobyl..
Cheap Ex-Army watches available.
Genuine/original British Army Watch Personal Radiation Dosimeter UNISSUED | eBay

Really? You need to know the time that desperately? Buy 2 cheap waterproof £10 or less ones, take the hooky strap off , thread on a piece of para-cord with about 6 inches slack through one of the the other straps eyes and Polar Knot it to your breast pocket button (L or R, depends on how you shoot) and tuck it in..... you really don't need the second one.... but if You feel you desperately need to spend over £100 on a watch instead of something that makes your more effective.....

In my 22 years, the watch was very important so I could bitch that I hadn't been relieved on time.

Last edited:
Be mindful of Baby G’s, they are not bomb proof.

Night map reading exercise....lovely. I was tasked with taking my section to Rabbit Wood testing my skills.... I was a re-enlistment and could already envisage precisely which trees I would be using to basher up, let alone using a map. And just before we entered the training area I said, "Have a rest, have a fag, beyond this cattle grid you will have neither".

Last edited:
And bear in mind if the watch has hands it can also be used as a rudimentary compass. :cool:
If its mechanical.... it's EMP proof!

How about one that vibrates the time in morse code....... honestly, the numbers are the easiest to learn, tactical enough for you?

Last edited:
If its mechanical.... it's EMP proof!

How about one that vibrates the time in morse code....... honestly, the numbers are the easiest to learn, tactical enough for you?
Aye, Mick. I can read morse at around 30 plus wpm. But as you say, numerals are a doddle. Problem at night over water the sound can carry. :cool:

OK,
Got money to burn for a timepiece? Royal Signals issue EMP proof with covert operation switch (It stops it chiming), £700. No watch strap.
Clock, Marine 8 bell..jpg

BAOR. "Hey Mick, whats that blush red line down the middle of the map mean?", "It means we have been deployed very very close to the East German border".... thats why we teach map reading.

Prehaps they are looking for someone that doesn't follow the trend, someone that will find a cheap alternative that will benefit the next intake?? Because it's all about looking after each other,...... not expensive watches.

BAOR. "Hey Mick, whats that blush red line down the middle of the map mean?", "It means we have been deployed very very close to the East German border".... thats why we teach map reading.
That has to be the campest colour description of a map marking I've ever heard. What were contour lines, savanna sunset?

Latest Threads