Discrimination when looking for a job

C

Cat_Sal

Pretty sure I'm getting a lot of potential employers fobbing me off because I'm ex-army. WHY?

Anyone else had similar problems?

oldbaldy

LE
Maybe it's because they have better candidates!

When you wrote the application form, did you fill in the information the form asked for or just put random bits of information in random boxes?

P

PrinceAlbert

Pretty sure I'm getting a lot of potential employers fobbing me off because I'm ex-army. WHY?

Quite the opposite. I got my 1st job after leaving the Forces because I was ex-mob. I've also had numerous people bring up my time in the forces in interviews, and they've always been positive about it.

Perhaps you're just a mong? Or ginger?

There was recently an article on BBC Midlands the other evening on this very subject.

Would you happen to be a journo, by any chance?

My time in the forces happened to be a bonus when it came to the interview for my current job. Try harder journo.

Without my military experience I wouldn't have got the job I have now.

Not only did I have a similar experience to the OP but I was disgusted by the way ex servicemen and women are discriminated agains. By employers

what would you say is the reason for the discrimination
I do t know. It was like Chinese walls. Nothing said in the open. It was like being black if you see what I mean.

How often do you use the words c*nt, c*nts or c*nting in a typical interview?

Although severly handicapped by my Oxbridge education, posh accent, good looks, athletic physique and membership of an unpopular minority group, who may or may not be on the square, I have never had any trouble at all in finding a job or earning loads of dosh!

Perhaps it's your aftershave.

I do t know. It was like Chinese walls. Nothing said in the open. It was like being black if you see what I mean.

speaking as a civvy scum
might be a perception from employers that ex army heads will become bored with the humdrum
of civillian employment or that the army doesnt promote independent thinking or improvisation
bosses like to think they dont have to tell you what to do all the time

speaking as a civvy scum
might be a perception from employers that ex army heads will become bored with the humdrum
of civillian employment or that the army doesnt promote independent thinking or improvisation

"that the army doesnt promote independent thinking or improvisation"

Sorry,I had to laugh at this ill-informed little gem.

speaking as a civvy scum
Or, more likely, they're worried we'll see how crap they are and take their jobs.