DISCRIMINATION IN CIVIL SERVICE AGAINST WHITE MALES

#1
Information on Leaders UK: the scheme open to Pay Band B1 and B2 UK civil servants who are either women, have a disability, or are from minority ethnic backgrounds, which seeks to equip participants with the leadership skills they will need for entry to the SCS

How do they get away with this sort of thing?
 
#3
Because pay and promotion based on merit and ability is unfair to those without any ability or talent.

So called "Positive discrimination" is nothing less than racism or sexism and merely illustrates the deep hypocrisy endemic in the equal opportunities industry.

I remember a nasty little policy that used to give preferential treatment to minorities based on skin colour rather than talent.

It was called apartheid.

If it was unacceptable in South Africa, why should a similar policy be acceptable in UK?
 
#4
I heard something similar about the Fire Service.

Each individual has a vote in a ballot for Strike Action.
If you are from an ethnic minority your representative on the national committee gets to use another one vote for you.
If you are anything other than hetrosexual another representative gets another vote for you.
You also have a females representative thats another vote for you.

So lets do the sums.

White British, Hetrosexual, Male = 1 Vote
Ethnic British, Hetrosexual, Male = 2 Vote
White British, Hetrosexual, Female = 2 Votes
Ethnic British, Homosexual, Male = 3 Votes
Ethnic British, Lesbian, Female = 4 Votes.

Who's got the power?
 
#6
It just means I'd have to spin myself differently.

Being to all intents and purposes a white, English, heterosexual, middle class male.

I could, with a little artistic licence but no fundamental untruth, become the "European, Other" child of two immigrant parents, one who works in the service sector the other being 'unemployed', whilst stressing my minority background, ostensibly comprehensive school education and the terrible burden of my 'disability' (dyslexia).

The system need not change, after all..."I might not be black, but the just means my ethnic minority is ignored by the powers that be, O Woe!"

If a system is stupid, it deserves contempt.
 
#7
Blokeonabike said:
Information on Leaders UK: the scheme open to Pay Band B1 and B2 UK civil servants who are either women, have a disability, or are from minority ethnic backgrounds, which seeks to equip participants with the leadership skills they will need for entry to the SCS

How do they get away with this sort of thing?
Interesting implication here - the civil service clearly believe that women, disabled people & those from 'minority' backgrounds are lesser beings who need a bit of extra help to make the grade.

Institutionalised sexism, racism & handicapism (there must be a word for it), perchance? I think that we should be told.
 
#8
Interesting

You must be looking at a different course from me BoaB. Is this the one You are referring to?

Take a look at page two under the Profile on Participants - the civil service parts says

Participants on this programme should be on grade 7 or 6 with the prospect of joining the Senior Civil Service
So, no mention of ethnic minorities there. But perhaps You meant the locla government part - which says

Participants will be at Assistant Director or service head level . . . .
Nope, not there either.

In fact no where does that leaflet or the full brochurestate a limitation to disabilities, women or ehtnic minorities. The full brochure does however say

As an organisation dedicated to learning, we recognise the value of diversity and the contribution that every individual can make based on their creativity, insights and experience. We welcome applications
from women, people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and disabled people.
So - not a criteria for entry but a desire to attract all sections of a workforce.


If on the other hand You have been discriminated against in Your place of work - get in touch with Your union rep. Of course, we don't know to what You refer because You didn't leave a link :roll:
 
#10
Sven said:
Interesting....
As an organisation dedicated to learning, we recognise the value of diversity and the contribution that every individual can make based on their creativity, insights and experience. We welcome applications
from women, people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and disabled people.
Just stumbled across this and although the initial post is possibly not correct (I can't be botherd to check all of the links) why on earth should they specify who they welcome applications from! Do they not welcome applications from men, who are white, and not disabled? If they do then why not state that?

By stating a selection of groups they are discriminating as they have missed several, what about left handed people and vegetarians! So maybe Sven the initial post was wrong but it doesn't stop the organisation from making a white able bodied male feel that his application is not as welcome as other groups.
 
#11
I think if your a black lesbian with a child of each colour, and with one leg, blind in the right eye and deaf in the left ear and dyslexic the jobs yours!!!

BLOODY LOONY LABOUR!!!!

ANY ONE KNOW WHEN THE GENERAL ELECTION IS TO GET THEM OUT!!!!
 
#12
Ooops forgot to say a vegan and a tree hugger

Stilts
 
#13
Horridlittleman said:
Sven said:
Interesting....
As an organisation dedicated to learning, we recognise the value of diversity and the contribution that every individual can make based on their creativity, insights and experience. We welcome applications
from women, people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and disabled people.
Just stumbled across this and although the initial post is possibly not correct (I can't be botherd to check all of the links) why on earth should they specify who they welcome applications from! Do they not welcome applications from men, who are white, and not disabled? If they do then why not state that?

By stating a selection of groups they are discriminating as they have missed several, what about left handed people and vegetarians! So maybe Sven the initial post was wrong but it doesn't stop the organisation from making a white able bodied male feel that his application is not as welcome as other groups.
Could it be because there is a history of the groups mentioned being actively discriminated against and looking at the bollox coming up in this thread some would argue they still are?

I know the REAL men amongst You are going to disagree but I have seen enough decent people not being considered for positions because of some employer perceived shortfall to know where the whiff of discrimination lies - and it lies at both sides of the bed. Try talking to the very odd male midwife that is out there.

The brochure isn't showing positive discrimination - that particular trait is demonstrated when a brochure says 'only' on it - it is simply acknowledging that after a group of people have had a boot in their face pushing them back down the ladder they might need a word of encouragement.

Not that I expect some will see something so obvious
 
#14
Sven said:
Horridlittleman said:
Sven said:
Interesting....
As an organisation dedicated to learning, we recognise the value of diversity and the contribution that every individual can make based on their creativity, insights and experience. We welcome applications
from women, people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and disabled people.
Just stumbled across this and although the initial post is possibly not correct (I can't be botherd to check all of the links) why on earth should they specify who they welcome applications from! Do they not welcome applications from men, who are white, and not disabled? If they do then why not state that?

By stating a selection of groups they are discriminating as they have missed several, what about left handed people and vegetarians! So maybe Sven the initial post was wrong but it doesn't stop the organisation from making a white able bodied male feel that his application is not as welcome as other groups.
Could it be because there is a history of the groups mentioned being actively discriminated against and looking at the bollox coming up in this thread some would argue they still are?

I know the REAL men amongst You are going to disagree but I have seen enough decent people not being considered for positions because of some employer perceived shortfall to know where the whiff of discrimination lies - and it lies at both sides of the bed. Try talking to the very odd male midwife that is out there.

The brochure isn't showing positive discrimination - that particular trait is demonstrated when a brochure says 'only' on it - it is simply acknowledging that after a group of people have had a boot in their face pushing them back down the ladder they might need a word of encouragement.

Not that I expect some will see something so obvious
Then perhaps they shouls also include ex servicemen and women on the list because their is probably as much discrimination against them as against any group.
 
#15
Sven said:
The brochure isn't showing positive discrimination - that particular trait is demonstrated when a brochure says 'only' on it - it is simply acknowledging that after a group of people have had a boot in their face pushing them back down the ladder they might need a word of encouragement.

Not that I expect some will see something so obvious
Well said Sven. This is one of the few occasions when I am in total agreement with you.

You're obviously referring to the employment agency called 'Rare Recruitment'. Until last year, when they were exposed by Personnel Today magazine, they operated a strict no whites policy in clear contravention of the Race Relations Act. Their web site still lacks a single photo of a white person.

While the company practiced this blatant racism, Trevor Phillips sat on their advisory board. Trevor Phillips is the chairman of the government's Commission for Racial Equality. Clearly he has no sense of irony.

Well done, Sven, for taking a stand against such outrages.
 
#16
I personally dont like filling out the equal opportunities form that comes with most applications because as soon as I tick the White British boxes I feel my app will go right to the side until the targets have been met with the ethnic minorities.
Its not about whos suitable for the role anymore.

Theres no such thing as positive discrimination, discrimination is discrimination.
 
#17
Like all Government departments the MoD has "official" rules and "desk" instructions. The latter instruct, in this case Personnel, how to interpret the deliberately ambiguous official rules; at any given time. This is invariably based on the current political policies of the day.

I recall, 20+ years ago (during the Conservative reign) being told by a civvy personnel guy that current rules prevented a certain individual (very experienced, very competent) being promoted above a particular grade (3 or 4 lower than discussed here) - because in the past he had subscribed to Socialist Worker. I can't imagine the same instruction (not rule) exists today, but may soon be reintroduced!
 
#18
Sven said:
Try talking to the very odd male midwife that is out there.
Quite agree - any male that has aspirations to become a midwife strikes me as very odd too.

Sven said:
The brochure isn't showing positive discrimination - that particular trait is demonstrated when a brochure says 'only' on it - it is simply acknowledging that after a group of people have had a boot in their face pushing them back down the ladder they might need a word of encouragement.
Such as white, working class males?

Sven,

Your liberal, self-righteous stance on everything, whilst laudable in some respects, does make me both chuckle and despair in equal proportions.

Rgds

PAW
 
#19
Predictable silence yet again from sven!

Well played Ancient mariner- Ya snookered the fecker :D
 
#20
Also look at Paperclips - the MOD HR journal which has regularly run pieces on how leaders is designed to go only to ethnic minorities and under represented people.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top