Discrimination against HM Forces by insurance companies

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by VivaLaSpecOp, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok maybe discrimination is a bit strong, but i was on the phone today sorting out insurance for my new car, when i was told by the guy on the phone that even though i have a fully comprehensive policy iam not entitled to drive other cars on 3rd party because iam a member of HM Forces. He couldnt give me a reason why this is the case. Does anybody know why this is and is it the same with all insurance companies?
  2. Because they are have all common denominators alike banks - estate agents - lawyers - all basically cnuts. They all treat HMF as a third rate person all for thier own greed.

And breathe.........
  3. Its probably got something to do with the fact that we're all thieving scumbags and cant drive for shit (or is that just the RLC?)

It is out of order, but what are you going to do about it? - Thats the attitude they'll have
  4. I've never had that on any of my fully comp policies, name and shame the company!
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Also check the small print.

You'll probably find that military bases/active airfields are excluded from the policy. Always introduced a fun element to working at boscombe down where you had to cross the runway to get to work...never got it sorted either way, was just lucky not to have had an accident while i was there.

6. It is not normally discrimination as such but certain jobs, trades, professions etc get loaded based on past history.

When I first took out life insurance I received a quote which was subsequently reduced in premiums when they found out that I was an NCO rather than an officer. Young officers tends to crash cars and die according to the Chartered Insurance Institue in the 1980s.

Try getting car insurance when you are a commercial or military pilot....historically they drive badly and so are a higher risk.

Authors....get loaded on their insuracne policy because of who they may have in the car with them, i.e. other better known authors. imagine crashing your car with jeffrey Archer on boards. Whilst killing him would be a service to humanity and literature his publisher could sue you for lost profit for the next 5 books in the deal that he will not now write.

Apply for life insurance and tell them you are an antiques dealer. They will have you off for an HIV test before you can say "I love special hugs from other men."

The answer is to shop around and look for a broker who is sympathetic.
  7. Security consultants dont even exist as a job with some companies. It was quite funny when the girl on the other end said "is that the same as a retail security guard?" :roll:
  8. isn't it :D
  9. Nah, you sometimes see retail security guards actually working. :D
  10. You might be surprised to learn that 'Soldier' is in the same insurance risk category as 'Priest' or any other chairman of the faith.
  11. I believe Liverpool Victoria refuse to insure Armed forces personnel for cars at least.