Discounts for armed forces.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FNUSNU, Jun 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We generally get treated like scum in our own country it's all bollox. I think we should start a campaign to get wider recognition from the country we serve to protect.
    In the US they walk aound in uniform and people buy them drinks, not as over here, smash the beer bottle over your head.
    One thing I would like to see is the same benefits for members of the armed forces as students get with their NUS cards. After all, we actually work and aren't tax avoiding, drug taking chavs like many students.
    Most places in the US seem to give discounts for their service people and our country should follow suit and give us some recognition.
  2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

To be fair, many places do actually give military discounts.

But your other point is bang on. Problem is though, is that we still have a terrorist threat lingering on. I would rather that we did not wear uniform out of work but get some positive press, recognition and respect from joe civvie. Utopia, yes. Realistic, no.

Its a lovely f*cking war!
  3. Be careful what you wish for....

It would probably be considered a taxable beneft.
  4. I've always thought this: We must be the only country where our Armed Forces aren't present in society, in the way you say about servicemen/women in uniform and all that (and you can never have too many women in uniform). You mention America; I was in Berlin in April, and about a platoon's worth of Bundy troops were at the train station we were at, full kit, bergens, all that. It did show up how non-present our Forces are in everyday life (Although I live near a barracks, so we get the occasional truck, but that's it)
  5. I find a lot of places give you a discount if you ask and show a MOD 90. Cinemas are good for it just ask the spotty 16 year old girl at the till who cares so little she will ring you throw as a OAP or some thing just because she cant be arrsed to find out
  6. I have just come across this website that someone at work directed me to:

Their description is:

Organiser Online has negotiated with many of the businesses listed to give members of the Armed Forces and MoD personnel a special discount. Look for the discount banner on an advert, then simply tell the participating business that you have seen their advert on Organiser Online to claim your discount

Alternatively try the Armed Forces Discount Brochure which is available in your RAO.
  7. It would help if the media in general started to cover the positive side of the forces generally instead of trying to expose the sensational negative side. They have the widest reach into the population through press, TV & radio.
  8. I was recruiting a few weeks ago and some chav came up to me and said he didn't like the army.....

Unfortunitley he tripped over my foot???? :oops:
  9. Mmm, but sometimes it backfires: We had an Army promo day at our school ages back, and there was this "trendy" anti-war type who kept asking asinine questions during the lecture ("Have you ever killed a man with a shotgun?" was one of them...)

But he didn't get the attention he wanted; one of our lot called him a ********, everyone else laughed, and he suddenly shrank to about four inches tall as everyone else got on with listening to the lecture :D
  10. In the RAO?!? I imagine it'd be a bit messy getting it out...
  11. But remarkably easy to get it in (if not distasteful)
  12. MOTO service stations have recently upped their discount to 20% if you show you MOD90.

It covers everything except petrol so you stock up on your gentleman's interest literature for a bargain!! :D
  13. Isn't it a shame when that happens. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  14. I would have said no, but there's always a first time!!!!! :twisted:
  15. 307

307 War Hero

We did a recruitment day and 2 anti-war protesters rocked up, about 15 years of wisdom, greasy long curly hair, drity piss stinking clothes. Had the audacity to walk right through all our demos handing out anti-war flyers. It took everyones ultimate patience to not go and persuade them to move on, simply because of their ignorance, 15 years old, theyre just finding out what a nobs for let alone world politics, plus why target soldiers, did the army decide to invade? There were also a few retro ban the bomb type folk who were about 40 50 odd and obviously ex hippy chciks, they were quite harmless and quite funny really, they obviously heard about the masses of nuclear tipped 105mm shells the TA gun batterys have been lobbing out their barrels.