Discipline in the Mess

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by B_AND_T, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

What are the rules or where can I find them, on the RSM banning someone from the mess?

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Ask the RSM, I'm sure he will give you a copy - usually held in the same place as the rule for giving extra's. 8)

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

He was the one that asked me. Can't find anything in QR's.

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I'm sure there is not - his mess, his rules, hopefully his experience will ensure he administers the right punishment for the crime.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that, that was the way I was thinking.

6. Most Messes I visited, and was a member of, had a copy of Mess Rules in every room, and with the Welcome Pack. I would, however, countenance against barrack room lawyership with the badge if you are thinking of using rules to argue a decision with the badge.

You will lose.

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

The big man came to me for advice on the legality of any such ban.

8. OK. Well as far as I am aware, it his his train set and he pretty much can ban any Mess Member, if the members conduct falls below that required of him/her. The Supervising Officer of the Mess could be consulted, but he is usually the QM so will have been an RSM in the past. I have known of several Mess Members being banned in the past, for misdemeanours such as vomiting in the bar, uncalled for heckling of a guest during a speech and "wine bottle mishaps" at the dinner table.

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

If the big man has had a problem in his mess and feels that some plonker needs banning for a while then ban him/her.

10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Thanks to you all

11. Not a member of the WOs' and Sgts' Mess but I am sure the need for banning a Mess member is a rarity and is a punishment that would only be used after exhausting the alternatives.

Of course banning someone who is not actually a serving SNCO (a particularly offensive wife for example) is not a problem as they are only there by invitation anyway.

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I know but someone had to marry her.

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Ah well if it's not a mess member and if I'm reading your bold correctly it's a W/O then no problem. We banned one for a year once or more to the point - plonker your wife is not welcome to use the mess facilities - message ends.

14. If its a WO then she is a guest in the Mess, easy to ban them.

15. Can I suggest that if your RSM is uncertain of how to discipline his/her SNCOs then his/her first port of call should be the Corps RSM (or equivalent), they will be more than happy to help. The last port of call should be any serving Officer, irrespective of background, especially one in your own unit.

This will ensure the age old tradition (which seems to be waning) of "what happens in the mess, stays in the mess"