• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Discipline in the Mess

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
What are the rules or where can I find them, on the RSM banning someone from the mess?

elovabloke

ADC
B_AND_T said:
What are the rules or where can I find them, on the RSM banning someone from the mess?
Ask the RSM, I'm sure he will give you a copy - usually held in the same place as the rule for giving extra's. 8)

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
He was the one that asked me. Can't find anything in QR's.

elovabloke

ADC
B_AND_T said:
He was the one that asked me. Can't find anything in QR's.
I'm sure there is not - his mess, his rules, hopefully his experience will ensure he administers the right punishment for the crime.

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that, that was the way I was thinking.

Most Messes I visited, and was a member of, had a copy of Mess Rules in every room, and with the Welcome Pack. I would, however, countenance against barrack room lawyership with the badge if you are thinking of using rules to argue a decision with the badge.

You will lose.

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
The big man came to me for advice on the legality of any such ban.

OK. Well as far as I am aware, it his his train set and he pretty much can ban any Mess Member, if the members conduct falls below that required of him/her. The Supervising Officer of the Mess could be consulted, but he is usually the QM so will have been an RSM in the past. I have known of several Mess Members being banned in the past, for misdemeanours such as vomiting in the bar, uncalled for heckling of a guest during a speech and "wine bottle mishaps" at the dinner table.

elovabloke

ADC
B_AND_T said:
The big man came to me for advice on the legality of any such ban.
If the big man has had a problem in his mess and feels that some plonker needs banning for a while then ban him/her.

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks to you all

Not a member of the WOs' and Sgts' Mess but I am sure the need for banning a Mess member is a rarity and is a punishment that would only be used after exhausting the alternatives.

Of course banning someone who is not actually a serving SNCO (a particularly offensive wife for example) is not a problem as they are only there by invitation anyway.

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
Keyboardwarrior said:
Not a member of the WOs' and Sgts' Mess but I am sure the need for banning a Mess member is a rarity and is a punishment that would only be used after exhausting the alternatives.

Of course banning someone who is not actually a serving SNCO (a particularly offensive wife for example) is not a problem as they are only there by invitation anyway.
I know but someone had to marry her.

elovabloke

ADC
B_AND_T said:
Keyboardwarrior said:

I know but someone had to marry her.
Ah well if it's not a mess member and if I'm reading your bold correctly it's a W/O then no problem. We banned one for a year once or more to the point - plonker your wife is not welcome to use the mess facilities - message ends.

Can I suggest that if your RSM is uncertain of how to discipline his/her SNCOs then his/her first port of call should be the Corps RSM (or equivalent), they will be more than happy to help. The last port of call should be any serving Officer, irrespective of background, especially one in your own unit.

This will ensure the age old tradition (which seems to be waning) of "what happens in the mess, stays in the mess"

If it is up to the RSM to ban members of the mess as he see's fit, could someone answer me the question, do you stop paying mess bills for the time that you are banned? I'm not trying to be clever I just wanted an answer as I am interested.

Different circumstances for different individuals I think. That is to say it would be impractical to ban a living-in member from "The Mess" but I'm sure banning him/her from the bar itself would be an option, if his/her crime were directly related to the bar that is. On the other hand a living-out member or guest of a member could easily be banned from entering The Mess at all.

Touch_it said:
If it is up to the RSM to ban members of the mess as he see's fit, could someone answer me the question, do you stop paying mess bills for the time that you are banned? I'm not trying to be clever I just wanted an answer as I am interested.
I'm not gonna quote QR's but in this day and age I'm sure an individual may have some grounds in a court of law to argue the fact they shouldn't be paying all, or part of, a Mess bill while they are banned from it. However, said individual should really have the common decency and brains to realise that being banned from The Mess is a punishment befitting the crime committed. In my experience, a Mess member may get banned from The Mess for up to 3 months but rarely longer. Is it really worth proving such a ridiculous point by attempting not to have to pay a Mess bill during this period? The phrase "making a rod for your own back" springs to mind!!!

If a Mess member is banned from The Mess for a greater length of time then it's probably for something which he/she is facing a court martial as well so the individual may, inevitably, end up back in the Corporal's Mess. And they're not banned from that one are they???

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
To put this one to bed. Aforementioned Big Badge decided not to ban however minor AGAI action has been taken. That will teach someone not to square up to the numero uno honcho.

Anyone from my service generation ('52-'74 in the Mess) care to comment? Querying the RSM? Wanting to evade Mess function? Banned from the Mess ffs!
Next thing will be some clown suggesting eviction of ravens from Tower of London.

I was Presiding Member of various Messes for 10 years and had the odd clown square up to me from time to time. An interview without coffee tends to do the trick.