Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

discharged for drugs

It's not worth it I forget the actual stats but less than 1% of the army fail CDT. A lot of young soldiers tell me they joined up to do something with their lives, all they were doing before basic training was hanging around with their chav mates doing ectasy or cannabis (most couldnt afford cocaine). Lets not encourage second chances.
I actually agree with that position then and now, especially since we've gone to the trouble of improving the quality assurance around the Reg and AR recruitment stream, but the present voluntary outflows cannot be sustained, whilst AR recruitment has to leap forwards considerably just to meet the natural wastage from a significantly aged reserve.

Service values and standards should be adhered to, but I think we also have to acknowledge a social environment that has changed considerably. The MOD changed the rules before to address shortage of trained personnel available for deployment (approx 790 a year through CDT fail and another 800+ with licences lost due to DUI).

In WW2 we gave every Serviceman enough fags to ensure a generation of lung cancer and distributed amphetamines like they were smarties, but times change. However, if fans get full of brown stuff, rules will inevitably get bent again.

I actually agree with that position then and now, especially since we've gone to the trouble of improving the quality assurance around the Reg and AR recruitment stream, but the present voluntary outflows cannot be sustained, whilst AR recruitment has to leap forwards considerably just to meet the natural wastage from a significantly aged reserve.

Service values and standards should be adhered to, but I think we also have to acknowledge a social environment that has changed considerably. The MOD changed the rules before to address shortage of trained personnel available for deployment (approx 790 a year through CDT fail and another 800+ with licences lost due to DUI).

In WW2 we gave every Serviceman enough fags to ensure a generation of lung cancer and distributed amphetamines like they were smarties, but times change. However, if fans get full of brown stuff, rules will inevitably get bent again.
790 bods is quite a small number 60% of them would sign off by their 5 years point (on average in line with the rest of the army) so you are down to approximately 300 bods who might have contiuned, deduct from that the utter spastics who shouldnt be in the army anyway and the number is smaller still. It's not worth the time, effort or money giving that number a second chance. On top of that it can be seen by other soldiers as an excuse to do drugs because the army won't immediately kick you out.
We are not that desperate yet.

790 bods is quite a small number 60% of them would sign off by their 5 years point (on average in line with the rest of the army) so you are down to approximately 300 bods who might have contiuned, deduct from that the utter spastics who shouldnt be in the army anyway and the number is smaller still. It's not worth the time, effort or money giving that number a second chance. On top of that it can be seen by other soldiers as an excuse to do drugs because the army won't immediately kick you out.
We are not that desperate yet.
For DG Pers and CGS at the peak of TELIC+HERRICK, they were pulling their hair out, so it was sufficient justification, because the PUD issue was the all consuming agenda. We were breaking masses of our people through MSK injuries and hearing impairment, which contributed to permanent PUDs, so the concept of the drug reeducation programme had to be seen in context.

For many RSMs it was a different view, but they also knew that 790 were just the ones that got caught and the actual figure for drug use was much higher, so they were also realistic. That situation hasn't changed and laboratory testing is still playing catch up with legal highs to some extent; the MOD only contracts to conduct tests for key substances.

Who knows what the future will bring, but I absolutely know that drug misuse in the Army will continue to feature, whether it's pursuit of legal highs, use of dodgy muscle bulking substances or addiction to over the counter codeine based analgesics.

For DG Pers and CGS at the peak of TELIC+HERRICK, they were pulling their hair out, so it was sufficient justification, because the PUD issue was the all consuming agenda. We were breaking masses of our people through MSK injuries and hearing impairment, which contributed to permanent PUDs, so the concept of the drug reeducation programme had to be seen in context.

For many RSMs it was a different view, but they also knew that 790 were just the ones that got caught and the actual figure for drug use was much higher, so they were also realistic. That situation hasn't changed and laboratory testing is still playing catch up with legal highs to some extent; the MOD only contracts to conduct tests for key substances.

Who knows what the future will bring, but I absolutely know that drug misuse in the Army will continue to feature, whether it's pursuit of legal highs, use of dodgy muscle bulking substances or addiction to over the counter codeine based analgesics.

Addiction to over the counter drugs is really a thing in the army now?

Last edited:
D

Deleted 60082

In WW2 we gave every Serviceman enough fags to ensure a generation of lung cancer
Killed my Dad at 61. He was injured (lost an eye) and took up smoking in hospital at the relatively late age of 22 'cos the nice ladies from the Red Cross gave him packets of fags.

Addiction to over the counter drugs is really a thing in the army now?
I cannot quote specific rates for the current force, but it previously featured as a significant problem for some personnel who were deliberately masking musculoskeletal problems e.g, knee or shoulder injuries, some post tour or related to sports accidents. Frequently this involves opioids like Co-Codamol, or Nurofen Plus, which contain codeine. It also happens for some who'd been temporarily downgraded and later restored to operational fitness, but who're anxious not to reveal ongoing problems to stay off the MO's radar.

I cannot quote specific rates for the current force, but it previously featured as a significant problem for some personnel who were deliberately masking musculoskeletal problems e.g, knee or shoulder injuries, some post tour or related to sports accidents. Frequently this involves opioids like Co-Codamol, or Nurofen Plus, which contain codeine. It also happens for some who'd been temporarily downgraded and later restored to operational fitness, but who're anxious not to reveal ongoing problems to stay off the MO's radar.

Thanks - makes a lot of sense actually. Can see how such cases can innocently slip into addiction.

I'd imagine painkillers and anti-inflammatory pills are pretty popular. Not sure if Codeine would trigger an adverse test but they are available over the counter these days.
Boots Pharmaceuticals Ibuprofen and Codeine 200 mg/12.8 mg tablets - 16 tablets - Boots
The point about over the counter medications like this, is that with a CDT, as long as the invididual writes on the CDT paperwork what they've taken, it's a perfectly legal non-prescription anti inflammatory / analgesic, and no Service Law breach has occurred.

The problem comes with long term use of this type of medication, which can produce adverse effects, especially for headache related pain - like analgesic rebound.
Medication-overuse headache - The Migraine Trust

Overuse of NSAIDs like Ibuprofen has its own problems -
FDA strengthens warning that NSAIDs increase heart attack and stroke risk - Harvard Health Blog

Overuse of opioids like Codeine can have long term effects too, including impact on mental health and wellbeing, because of side effects such as lowered dopamine levels and digestion problems e.g. constipation.
Codeine Dependence – Effects of Codeine Abuse – Codeine Addiction Treatment

Latest Threads