Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

discharged for drugs

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
But its very important, you wont get a job without it. Or so we are told.

Mine got me two jobs, well at least as far as the interview stage. I'd like to think I was awesome which is why I got the jobs, or at least slightly more awesome than a piece of A4

But its very important, you wont get a job without it. Or so we are told.

Most employers will take your CV at face value. A large organisation might do 'background checks' which involve an Indian call centre phoning your old employer and asking whether you used to work there.

hi I am worried about my son as I know he has been discharged for drug misuse my only question is, is does it come under admin discharge or dishonourable discharge ? its really playing on his mind but most of all mine as I would like to think it wasn't dishonourable! I know he did wrong and he has been punished for it tenfold by myself, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance
The significant issue with regard a positive CDT result is that if discharged, it permanently precludes re-entry into any arm of the UK Armed Forces, Regular & Reserve, not that it unduly affects those who continue to indulge in recreational drugs consumption and/or don't seek re-employment in this area.

The significance of the type of discharge, as already mentioned, is that if it were a disciplinary discharge, the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (RoA) would apply, possibly enabling re-entry, hence the reason for the type of discharge which is not affected by RoA or age.

Hmm? I have a little knowledge of this ( not in a bad way) so if he wants, he can appeal it.....that's if he pleads his innocence though and depending on timescales.

Look at the CDT threads on search..... sound like he was caught bang to rights though?

The significant issue with regard a positive CDT result is that if discharged, it permanently precludes re-entry into any arm of the UK Armed Forces, Regular & Reserve, not that it unduly affects those who continue to indulge in recreational drugs consumption and/or don't seek re-employment in this area.

The significance of the type of discharge, as already mentioned, is that if it were a disciplinary discharge, the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (RoA) would apply, possibly enabling re-entry, hence the reason for the type of discharge which is not affected by RoA or age.

Apparently drug bugs can apply to rejoin after 2 years, at least that's the someone who did coke got told. (Obviously the MOD can still say **** off but they don't appear to have a bar for life)

Cannabis or 'that stinking green sh!t' is unfortunately so prevalent in today's society that poor young squaddies can get carried along and caught out. Unfortunately their own fault I'm afraid.

If you're going to do a job in MTP you cannot, just cannot take CDT seriously enough. Stan Jnr won't even be in the same room as anyone smoking ganja and even gets his protein drink stuff (you know, tastes like cheap strawberry milkshake) from other than an approved source just in case.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the son of the OP and I wish him luck. All too easily to be weak willed and get stuffed.

Apparently drug bugs can apply to rejoin after 2 years, at least that's the someone who did coke got told. (Obviously the MOD can still say **** off but they don't appear to have a bar for life)
Possibly the Army applies the joint service regulations differently. Anyone can re-apply but as far as the Navy is concerned, a positive CDT is an outright bar to further service. I suspect the Army is actually no different as we get a number of online applications from former squaddies who appear to think they are entitled to three attempts at failing the CDT, one for each arm of the UK armed forces.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to hear from anyone who successfully managed to rejoin the Army following discharge for an undisputed positive CDT as it may well improve recruiting stats.

Edited for duff spolling.

Last edited:
People would almost seem to think that the message "fail a CDT and don't pass go don't collect 200 US dollars" i.e get an admin discharge and barred from re-entry would drill it in hard enough?

Possibly the Army applies the joint service regulations differently. Anyone can re-apply but as far as the Navy is concerned, a positive CDT is an outright bar to further service. I suspect the Army is actually no different as we get a number of online applications from former squaddies who appear to think they are entitled to three attempts at failing the CDT, one for each arm of the UK armed forces.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to hear from anyone who successfully managed to rejoin the Army following discharge for an undisputed positive CDT as it may well improve recruiting stats.

Worryingly, I worked with an ex RAF policeman who spoke of aircraft mechanics being caught using drugs, not by CDTs but by their officers and NCOs, and they were given counselling, not their P45.

I only have his word for it, but I have a cynical outlook these days.

There's quite a big gulf between your situation and his.

His was a condition of service. What right minded employer is going to take someone one on who may ignore their instructions and leave them liable for their employee's negligence?

Give over

Lads 17 I wouldn't even mention being in the mob to anyone.

I'm sure he'll get on fine in life

Most people outside take, or have taken drugs at least once - be it a spliff or a line of coke. As others say, it'll be a problem for things like police etc, but otherwise most people won't care.
Or any critical safety job, and driving jobs...he could always say he was unemployed during his brief time in

spaz

LE

No our positive CDT fails are advised that they can reapply in 2 years. This was a surprise to me to be honest but I've just been through the process of discharging one of my soldiers for this.

No our positive CDT fails are advised that they can reapply in 2 years. This was a surprise to me to be honest but I've just been through the process of discharging one of my soldiers for this.
Are you REME? If so what has our Corps become. I had to have 4 O levels to join

Yes I am and how are your O Levels relevant?
I was told the kids joining did not need GCSEs in my last Army posting

Latest Threads