Discharge Uniform

If I was going to steal anything from the Army, I can assure you it wouldn’t have been uniform. I mean, FFS, it’s free at Man at Q&M. All you have to do is ask for it. I never understood squaddies that stole free stuff.
We always got charged for ours, we covered them in oil on them on purpose.
Guess who got an MBE?

Well she did give him an MBE. Perhaps she was bladdered when the list came round for approval?
Has the busker really got one? What for?

When The Sainted Mrs Devex (Peace be upon Her) left c'94 after 3 years, the QM gave her a sausasge (steady on) kit bag with that sort of gear in - for her reserve commitment. Her suggestion of what he might do with said bag would certainly have earned us a tenner on You've been framed. It got chucked in the clothing store skip when we moved out of our quarter into our own house. They didn't give me any kit when I retired after 27. I didn't keep much either, despite the only thing they actually bothered about being sleeping system and bergan.

When I de-kitted in 1994 I was told to keep pretty much the stuff in the first post for my reserve duties.
I wore the boots out within a couple of years and the rest I gave to my BiLs for their fishing expeditions. I was issued trainers with MDF soles instead of pumps; these lasted until about two years ago after numerous DIY jobs.
I joined the police after leaving the army and when I asked about reservist requirements was told I was exempt from all that.
Still got the hold-all and sausage bag.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
If I was going to steal anything from the Army, I can assure you it wouldn’t have been uniform. I mean, FFS, it’s free at Man at Q&M. All you have to do is ask for it. I never understood squaddies that stole free stuff.
It was never the case; you paid the price plus 33% for anything you lost and often got charged under section 69 ' In that he at Aldershot lost his combat jacket, an item issued to him for his use for military purposes.'

A little additional story;
I was standing behind a chap in the C/Sgt's queue in Aden. He wanted a field dressing. The C\sgt said " The field dressing is for use on you, I see no wounds on you, so Pay! Soldier "I used it on a civilian C\sgt" " Oh yes and who was that?" "A woman C\sgt, I applied it to a shrapnel wound on her Breast" C\sgt's reply: "I haven't seen a breast for 10 months...so Pay!"

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I had five days at Pirbright just before I joined the police. LCpl Clipboard, that was his name for a week couldn’t wait for the week to be over. Left turn he would shout, I say do you mind not shouting came the reply, oh and please wouldn’t go amiss.
We even got a go with those new rifles. Night shooting, score Sweet FA. Oh well.
I somewhat pitied the sprogs who had to clean those weapons after we handed them in.
Bloody good laugh it was.

It was never the case; you paid the price plus 33% for anything you lost and often got charged under section 69 ' In that he at Aldershot lost his combat jacket, an item issued to him for his use for military purposes.'

A little additional story;
I was standing behind a chap in the C/Sgt's queue in Aden. He wanted a field dressing. The C\sgt said " The field dressing is for use on you, I see no wounds on you, so Pay! Soldier "I used it on a civilian C\sgt" " Oh yes and who was that?" "A woman C\sgt, I applied it to a shrapnel wound on her Breast" C\sgt's reply: "I haven't seen a breast for 10 months...so Pay!"
What I meant was exchanges. And if you were lucky they let you keep the old one for exercise use. Which you could exchange in a different clothing store. And if it was an RAF clothing store you could have as much as you wanted. And then exchange in Army clothing stores when it wore out. I had a car full of gear when I dekitted.

HE117

LE
When I (finally..) retired a few year back, some jerk from the QM dept at a certain reserves centre tried to claim I owed them a pair of brown shoes..

.. Issued to me at RMAS roughly 40 years previously!

..aye, right!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I had five days at Pirbright just before I joined the police. LCpl Clipboard, that was his name for a week couldn’t wait for the week to be over. Left turn he would shout, I say do you mind not shouting came the reply, oh and please wouldn’t go amiss.
We even got a go with those new rifles. Night shooting, score Sweet FA. Oh well.
I somewhat pitied the sprogs who had to clean those weapons after we handed them in.
Bloody good laugh it was.
The most dangerous day of my career was not on Ops, it was taking a group of Civ police on the range, the hairiest bloody day of my life!

I de-kitted from the RAF, jar of coffee and 3 packets of chocolate hob nobs. . On leaving quarter I found a brand new
General Service Respirator and a Full set of Osprey.
I gave them back.

Slime

LE
I remember the white daps, they had to be polished black!
I sometimes wonder if the army was actually trying to injure us on purpose.

I had those hideous black daps for running in during PT, topped off with running in BCH!

Latest Threads