Discharge Uniform

That's what I got, substitute Boots, Combat High, and Shirt, Green not itchy for boots DMS and puttees, shirt hairy, and include Trousers, Chinese, Fighting for the use of. Had it all sold off before I walked out the gate.

Looks about right. Probably discharged early-mid 80s. Combat suit, KF shirts and DMS all changed after that. Also the “no-epaulettes” JHW, which came/went for a couple years about then. Black Army daps. They were white in 1986, so I’d say this was somewhere around 1980-85 latest. I imagine from about 1970 it would have looked much the same.

Looks about right. Probably discharged early-mid 80s. Combat suit, KF shirts and DMS all changed after that. Also the “no-epaulettes” JHW, which came/went for a couple years about then. Black Army daps. They were white in 1986, so I’d say this was somewhere around 1980-85 latest. I imagine from about 1970 it would have looked much the same.
I was issued black daps in 83, still got them somewhere.

IICR those who had a reserve liability (probably the wrong term) used to have to report in periodically to muster stations with their discharge kit. I think they got a days pay and expenses for it.

I could have course dreamt the whole of the above :)

I remember the white daps, they had to be polished black!

IICR those who had a reserve liability (probably the wrong term) used to have to report in periodically to muster stations with their discharge kit. I think they got a days pay and expenses for it.

That is true, because I was buggering off to the outer reaches of the Empire, I had to apply for an exemption to the annual reporting and reserve liability.

That is true, because I was buggering off to the outer reaches of the Empire, I had to apply for an exemption to the annual reporting and reserve liability.
Seconded, but it was voluntary when I had the liability (01-05). For £20 for the day, they could Foxtrot Oscar. Oddly, I never had the RMP at my door asking for their kit back.

I understand that there was a reserve obligation of four years after National Service. It could be served voluntarily in the TA. Those who did not go down this route were mustered once a year to their old units. However, I understand that the practice was all but abandoned because so many of those recalled (already resentful about their previous two years enforced service) were so unruly and ungovernable that they were a disciplinary nightmare and it was easier to let things slide.

Seconded, but it was voluntary when I had the liability (01-05). For £20 for the day, they could Foxtrot Oscar. Oddly, I never had the RMP at my door asking for their kit back.
I remember when my Red Book Addendum fell through the letter box, amongst all the papers, there where two MOD identify cards (fill in the details yourself), a blank travel warrant, a what to do, where to report, and what to bring booklet, plus a GPO chit for 20 quid, amongst other stuff.
Then about 10 months later, a letter demanding that I pay back the second final paycheque they issued in error. Cheers easy!

I was in the TA before going Regular. Once a year we had a mobilisation exercise where you turned up on Friday night, with your entire 1157 and had it checked, along with the clerks checking your docs and the medics stabbing people with their vaccine updates. Then deploy on exercise for the weekend.

One of the lads in our troop was a casual building site labourer . One of the SNCOs was going through his kit while another one read out the items in his 1157. “BCH qty 2 pr“. “He’s wearing one pair, and the other would be best described as “boots, building site”, holding up a pair of BCH that he’d obviously been wearing while pouring concrete :)

ches

LE
I left in 89. Never got a bloody thing (officially) apart from the following. The only thing i was required to have for the turn up at the ARO for a few hours once a year muster lark was my S10 in its bag. Christ knows what for.

I had to show up annually for three years and show someone my discharge kit. 82 - 84. More or less what the OP posted.
No travel expenses but they paid us £100 in beer tokens. I had to travel from Leeds to Strensal Barracks in York but it cost me nowt in petrol as a mate with a company car and free personal juice used to take me.

We had to blanco or meltonian ours white.
An earlier generation were issued with brown Bata daps. These, of course, did not meet the particular requirements of the army who insisted that soldiers coloured them with liberal quantities of black boot polish. The possibility of procuring black plimsolls in the first place does not appear to have occurred to them.

I expect even more time was then pointlessly wasted cleaning gym floors and equipment.

That's true. I remember in Basic one day seeing loads of 'ancients' cutting around camp with 'long' hair, beards, etc, but left alone by the DS. They were based in the gym (when they weren't monopolising the JRC!) where lots of G1/G4 stuff was going on; all disappeared by COP.

Why did you have an RMP's kit, you thieving fcuker?!!! :)

An earlier generation were issued with brown Bata daps. These, of course, did not meet the particular requirements of the army who insisted that soldiers coloured them with liberal quantities of black boot polish. The possibility of procuring black plimsolls in the first place does not appear to have occurred to them.

I expect even more time was then pointlessly wasted cleaning gym floors and equipment.
I bet it did, but the contract was probably 5p per pair cheaper for the brown ones and polishing them black was for free.

Why did you have an RMP's kit, you thieving fcuker?!!! :)
If I was going to steal anything from the Army, I can assure you it wouldn’t have been uniform. I mean, FFS, it’s free at Man at Q&M. All you have to do is ask for it. I never understood squaddies that stole free stuff.

Latest Threads