Discharge - medical records/registering with a GP

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by ViroBono, Aug 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

With my BAFF hat on, I hear that some people are having problems when they leave, either with medical records, or in registering with a GP.

I'd be interested to know if ARRSERs who have left the services in, say, the last 3 years have had any problems.

Answers to these questions would be helpful:

1. Were you given F Med 133 (Summary of Medical History) on discharge?

2. Did you encounter any problems registering with an NHS GP, and if so what?

3. After registering, have there been any problems obtaining medical records or past history from military sources?

Thanks in advance.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I never had access to any of my med records and the TA tried to cover up an injury I received with them after leaving the regs. That was all 19 years ago now!

3. My 2 pieces of restllement advice

1. Join RBL
    2. Photocopy your med docs 2 years befor you leave

add

3. Join BAFF

4. I left in 04 and had no problem registering with a GP.

No i didnt get an FMed133.
    I did ask for a copy of my records to take with me on discharge but the Army doctor ( I was attached to the Army) gave me some story and i didnt get a copy or summary. If you are getting out insist on a copy of the relevant bits as your file may get lost.
    When my new employers asked my GP for a medical history, they couldnt give one as my records never turned up, even after they requested them from the MoD.
    RC

5. Cow

Cow LE

Edit to add: I was discharged in May 2006.

1. Were you given F Med 133 (Summary of Medical History) on discharge?
    Yes. My MRS was HQ York Garrison, my Regt didn't have its own which may have made me accessing my records easier.

2. Did you encounter any problems registering with an NHS GP, and if so what?
    No. I went to the Surgery that I had been to as a Civi, I live in Birmingham and have numerous Surgery's to chose from.

3. After registering, have there been any problems obtaining medical records or past history from military sources?
    No all my records were on my F Med 133. Injuries from Basic Training (97/98) were missing.

When I was in my resettlement interviews I asked what support was available upon leaving with registering, I was told to go back to where I was registered before and see if they'd take me. I did put that this was not adequate support on the feedback report.

Dental care was something else I enquired about. The military couldn't help me here. I didn't get a pre discharge inspection (not sure if your entitled to one) but again, was luck to join my old surgery.