Discharge Docs rant!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Biped, Jul 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Hi chaps,

Got all my applications in to re-join my nearest unit, only to be told that the application can't proceed until I can produce my Discharge Docs!!!!

I've explained that I left 15 years ago, and was not aware that such documents had to be kept for a great length of time to aid rejoining if I chose to do so.

Obviously, my docs are important to me, and I've produced my Reserves Pinky, but I'm buggered if I can find my Discharge Docs, having moved addresses about 10 times in the intervening years. Glasgow are sending down my records, so they'll have those anyway.

I did apply to join another unit about six years ago, but stopped during the process due to injury - and THEY didn't ask to see my Discharge papers!

I didn't wilfully bin them, and I've got just about everything else still, including things like me old cap-badge, pinky, cadre instructions for various cadres, briefing notes, aerial photo's, vehicle recognition pamphlets and wedges of other material, but not THAT!

Is this going to stymie me, or are they just being a pain the in the backside?

Any help would be appreciated, 'cos I'm orf to see the PSAO next Tuesday for a chat on the matter.

2. i think it just depends how fussy the unit recruiters are. after 5 years of being out i went to my local unit to join and they said i counld't join until i showed them my discharge papers i explained i had none as when i left my unit was about to go on tour so i got took out of the orbat so never really had a oc i just done **** jobs/guard till i left so basically no body was really interested in my writing my red book so i never got one. the unit said don't worry we'll chase it up and get back to you when it's sorted then i can go off to do my training. they never did so earlier this year i popped into another unit they never asked for any docs etc i filled in a form with all my old details in they sent it to glasgow and within a week or two they phoned me saying glasgow says everything's ok and gave me a date for my medical passed that and got straight into my new unit and i didn't need to do any training - two totally diffrent processes with to diffrent units. one was nice and simple the other wasn't
  3. Biped, I have a sneaking feeling they want these docs as the move from UNICOM to JPA buggered up your records. Its probably a lot easier for them to see your old papers than navigate through numerous legacy systems to recreate them.

The migration of data from UNICOM to JPA was appalling, I've only skimmed through my records and the amount of data loss is horrendous. I'm shocked this was acceptable to the MOD, if my employer(/dept) viewed JPA/EDS on a CV I'm pretty certain the candidate would get rejected. EDS are known as a joke in the industry (my dept had a great laugh over the JPA training package)
  4. You could be like me. I actually looked in my red book the other week and found an AFB108 that was unsigned by me. I knew it wouldn't be singed as the RAO only had time to do a draft before I left on PVR.

I agreed to the draft and signed a letter saying that I agreed with the content and that I would sign the 108 when it arrived in my red book.

The one in there however is completely different and has major errors in it. Considering I did 16 years service, there are about 10 lines of text.

THe first obvious error is that it says I joined the Army in 1987. THis would be slightly difficult as I was only 14 1/2 at the time! The second glaring error is that it states I served in Kosovo. I didn't, I served as IFOR in Bosnia.

It appears that some desk jockey has pulled my PFile from the cabinet at APC and had a half hearted attempt at writing a 108 befitting a SNCO. I was a shiny arse clerk myself and I've written better 108s for soldiers who have only served three years and gone out on admin discharges!!

I'm currently drafting a ranting letter to APC and I shall enclose a draft that I believe is suitable for my red book.
  5. I'm fairly sure they didn't ask for my docs when i rejoined.
  6. I was asked to show my red book but I think it was more a case of proving you were what you said you were and not given an SLR on the book
  7. Slightly off topic, but I am looking to rejoin (RAuxAF) and they have asked for my TA discharge paperwork. I certainly can't recall getting anything like that, and also as I left in 2004 would there be issues with the JPA changeover?
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

OK, now I'm stumped.

All I got at the time was my Reserve Book (Army Book 593) and a couple of badly printed joining instructions inside, and NOT something called 'Red Book AFB 108'!

I also got a piece of paper stating I'd had an 'Honourable Discharge' (despite my best efforts :twisted: ), and it didn't list my service history.

I'm in the process of completing my own SAR to see exactly what they are sending down to my unit and whether it includes a copy of the Red Book data.

Like I said, I'm seeing the PSAO this evening, and I'll tell him I didn't receive one, I'm not aware of ever having seen one, and the last unit I applied to never requested it. I'll also mention that I'm aware of other people in other units for whom the provision of such document was not a requirement.

I'll post up what the result is tomorrow. If they still say no, it'll confirm for me that there is definitely no recruiting and retention problem in the T.A. :evil:
  9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

This wouldn't have happened if you'd rejoined the Infantry :D

(Go on, you know you want to! It's only a matter of time before they bring back Sniper Platoons.)
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Is it true that some consider it to be REMF'ing to transfer from inf to sig, but not the other way around? Personally, I don't believe this to be the case, as Sig's are highly technical chappies. The technical aspect was a factor in my pro-Sig's choice, but I'm still doing PT as if I was off to dig holes and sleep with my bang-stick.

I got on to the blower with the bods in Glasgow, and asked whether they would have a copy of my AFB 108, and they said 'Yes, it's part of your military record'. However, when I asked about issues with records and the transition from UNICOM to JPA, he said he had nothing further to say unless his lawyer was present - his words!!!

Think that answers my question, and it will be part of the discussion this evening. :roll:
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to imply that in the least. Never did like the term REMF as it's a bit of a broad brush and frankly could apply to an Inf CQMS more so than an RLC convoy driver. Indeed met many super-fit and warry types in the Signals and other Corps. It was just a part of my ongoing recruitment pitch for the Infantry who I feel get overlooked quite a bit in the TA structuring and manning.

If IT/Comms flicks your switch then fair-dos, but would like to highlight that there are plenty of opportunities of all sorts, from Sigs Pln to Assault Pioneers etc., in the Infantry. There is a need for people who can't mobilise too (though you'd have to be a senior rank really) especially in RTCs.

That is a pretty scary state of affairs!
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yup, I was only kidding actually. You can't compare the two when asking which is a 'better' thing, only insofar as it's a better personal choice.

IT/Comms does flick my switches, but if I'm honest, the Inf. also very much pulls my trigger (er 8O ). The downside is my deployability. I run a company that requires me to be present in order to maintain the licence (firearms dealership), and to go off for a 9 month tour (with pre-deployment etc.) would mean closing it down for the duration and the subsequent loss of my business. Also, I'd be very, very unhappy to be serving alongside guys who were going on, or had been on operational tours when I had not, and could not. It's a personal thing, but I'd feel very much the poorer relation for it. As far as having sufficient rank not to go on ops, not sure what you mean, but I haven't the wit, qualifications, mental capacity or social graces to be considered for anything other than a hygiene engineer :twisted: Nor do I have the time in and skills to fulfil a training role - something best left to those with many years in or direct operational experience.

The time I spent in the TA Infantry was brilliant, and I'd love to do it again, but can't for the reasons above. If my situation changes, and Sig's doesn't bake my cookies, then it's always an option.