Disc Cloning software

I'm gonna be cloning the drive in my laptop and putting in a larger and higher speed drive. I've used back up progs etc many times but not bootable cloning tools.
I'm going to clone the drive which has XPpro SP3 any one got any recommendation on software to create a fully bootable cloned image?
I've got a couple of freeware progs Infront of me at the mo but don't mind buying software to do the job if its worth it, time is more important than money to me.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Have a look at the new hard drive manufactures website. Often they give away free cloning software. Failing that try clonezilla

If I was doing it I'd use a bootable live linux distro and use the DD command as described here:

Learn the DD command

Always worked for me. Most live distros on the front of the linux mags would do the trick if you didn't want to faff with downloading the iso and making a bootable cd etc.

Acronis. Amazing nifty product, supports disk cloning over SATA, eSATA and USB. Will copy 'as-is' or 'copy-and-resize'. Copies multiple partitions, resize them, etc. Use it for migrating all four laptops to SSD, cloning my new workstation's boot SSD drive to an identical SSD for backup (as its quicker), and even cloning a SCSI disk to SSD (as an experiment to see if Windows is clever enough...)

Thanks for all the replies.
I got software from seagate, now presently trying to get the disc formats to match up prior to cloning.

Norton Ghost was the program I used to use, I had a snide copy though. Not sure of the restrictions on the trial, but might be good for one or two uses!

Norton Ghost
Unless they've put the function back, "Clone" isn't there anymore. They lost nearly all their custom to Acronis True Image years ago. I, and all the other field service engineers I know, went to Acronis and stayed. Belting

Thanks for all the replies.
I got software from seagate, now presently trying to get the disc formats to match up prior to cloning.
The disk formats? One is NTFS (presumably, under XP), the other a blank hard disk. No need to match formats. If you mean disk size, then if the new disk is larger you dont need to do anything, or simply tell it to resize the disk.... unless the saegate software is braindead.

Unless they've put the function back, "Clone" isn't there anymore. They lost nearly all their custom to Acronis True Image years ago. I, and all the other field service engineers I know, went to Acronis and stayed. Belting
Well that just proves how shite Symantec are then! Yeah I used Acronis in work, good bit of kit. Two years in the army having nothing to do with proper computers has given me tremendous skill fade. It saddens me.

The disk formats? One is NTFS (presumably, under XP), the other a blank hard disk. No need to match formats. If you mean disk size, then if the new disk is larger you dont need to do anything, or simply tell it to resize the disk.... unless the saegate software is braindead.
It wouldn't play ball out the box with the seagate software Tiny, no idea why, it could see the drivee but not accept it as a destination for the data, so I partitioned the drive in the same way as the source, just out of curiosity. Same.

Got bored after half an hour, then sent a support request to seagate, they've probably seen this 100 times before and in in no big hurry. As well as being lazy..

Edit typos and add. No WO2 Ghandi, It's just a 7200 rpm Sata.

It wouldn't play ball out the box with the seagate software Tiny, no idea why, it could see the drivee but not accept it as a destination for the data, so I partitioned the drive in the same way as the source, just out of curiosity. Same.
That's because it's a limited tool, and you need to prep the destination drive. Use Acronis, as already noted by myself and others

That's because it's a limited tool, and you need to prep the destination drive. Use Acronis, as already noted by myself and others
Tried prepping the drive and believe it or not its Acronis software that seagate supply. If I don't get a quick fix from SeaGate tech support then ill try True image.

Edit. Typo

It was the controller in the multi format caddy I borrowed from my kid that was the problem. Nipped out and bought a straight sata only one.
It's cloning quite happily now.
Thanks to all who took the time to make suggestions.

JaC

Tried prepping the drive and believe it or not its Acronis software that seagate supply. If I don't get a quick fix from SeaGate tech support then ill try True image.

Edit. Typo
I know, the version of the seagate tool I have is branded Acronis - however it's a cut down version and most of the write functions will only work on Seagate disks. The re-imaging tool that comes with HP/Compaq etc is Norton Ghost, but a licensed/branded version that still includes the clone tool that disappeared from the commercial version in v9 - about 7 or 8 years ago.

Yes, if you have a Seagate or Western Digital drive, you should be able to get the free Acronis program (True Image) as a limited (but still very functional) version for that drive.

Then again, later versions of Acronis may well make the backup, but lack something when it comes to restore.

See here for all you need to know about cloning/imaging software:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...ws_rd=cr&redir_esc=&ei=dt7yUdr1IquT0AWlooC4Dw

The best ever version of Acronis that is practically mission critical was version 8. Later and more recent versions have some problems for some people. You can find version 8 on the wonderful Mini-PE XT, if you do not have a WD/Seagate drive.

Then again there is Hiren's boot CD:
Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info

This has a plethora of top notch backup/imaging software. It is sourced from freely available software as I understand it, so it is perfectly legal.

See this article for the best stuff available today:
Best Free Drive Cloning Software

Macrium Reflect comes top of the list. It is also on the Hiren's boot cd.

Clonezilla is not advised for a noob and DriveImage XML, whilst being an excellent imaging solution for smaller drives, is very slow and cumbersome when the GB count goes up.

I would recommend Easus ToDo 3.5
easeus todo backup 3.5 free download

Not sure if that link works, but this amazing program does not just system imaging, but imaging/cloning of partitions/folders too. And make sure you make a boot disk to use if your system goes down. It is little use making a backup that will only run from windows and then windows goes down and you can not restore. ALWAYS make sure you have a boot disk that can boot the imaging program you have used to restore your backup.

This is why a boot disk like Hiren's is so good. Because you turn your machine off and you boot up with that CD. It will boot into what is called a pre-installed environment, basically a stripped down winxp os. From there you will backup your hard drives to macrium reflect or whatever you choose and then if your whole machine goes titsup and you have to restore you can boot back to that cd and restore from there.

You can also use this method to clone a new hard drive from the old one you took out, say because you wanted a bigger drive. If you have a bare drive in the machine it will not boot windows (duh), but load with this cd and then re-image to the new bare drive. The only caveat is that the new drive will need to be bigger, which 9 times out of 10 it will be. And yours is, so it's all good.

So go to the macrium reflect site and dl the software. Make a bootable cd so that when you put in your new drive you can reclone your image to it.

Whatever program you choose, just make sure that the bootable media (cd) you create with it can boot your computer into an OS that has the Cloning software on, whatever it is.

In fact, save yourself the trouble of making the bootable cd yourself. Download the Hiren's Boot cd and it will already have Macrium Reflect on it. Make your backup from here. Then when you slot your new drive in, boot the Hiren's cd and call up Macrium Reflect and restore.

Funny this thread should resurface now. When the kids finished term I ended up chatting to one of the other dads that lives just round the corner while the kids went mental.

It turns out he works for Symantec, though on Backup Exec. We had a good chat about Ghost, and how shit it now was - it's on its third or fourth name now apparently and "clone" is back. However, he uses Acronis for his own machines. He also wasn't surprised that I reckoned that Backup Exec isn't as good now it doesn't have "Veritas" in the label, at some point they were considering taking out the ability for it to do brick level for Exchange, which is really the reason for probably 80% of it's sales.

We were also in agreement that the actual engine itself on Norton AV is great, and the enterprise version is pretty good. The GUI they hang on the home version (and cheaper "enterprise" versions)*, however, is a bag of frogs and hammers

So, from someone at Symantec, a lot of stuff they buy/assimilate gets Symantecified and comes out a bit pooher than it was originally. PC Anywhere and PGP seem to be a bit shit now as well

The CEO seems to agree as well
Symantec CEO on reorg: 'our system is just broken' - Computerworld, though I reckon he won't ever go as far as saying the software is shit as well though.

*may have changed since I last used it, not really his area

Latest Threads