Disbanded or suspended animation

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Nigel, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone can clear up the distinction for me.

My Dad was in 68th Regiment during National Service in the 1950's which clearly doesn't exist anymore. I'm almost sure it was disbanded shortly after he left but can anyone tell me what determines if a Regiment is disbanded or put into suspended animation or is there no real difference?

2. i Belive when a regiment is disbanded all the Btys disappear for good where as suspended animation means the batterys in some form move to another regiment ie 2nd field where L,N and o still survive in at least some form. i could be wrong tho :meditate:

3. This is only my guess, if a unit is disbanded then its lineage and history stop at that point. Later on if a new unit is raised with the same number/title then it does not inherit the battle honours or history of the old unit.

Whereas if a unit is put into suspended animation, and then re-raised later, the history, battle honours etc. of the original unit can be claimed and added to.

4. Another guess mate but I'd have to disagree with the others.

I would suggest that disbanding is merely that - everyone going their separate ways with an undetermined future.

All silver, unit property etc is then the responsibility of RHQ and will normally be handed around other units or kept in storage.

If the unit needs then to rise from the ashes they have a reformation parade, everyone looks smart and they unsuccessfully try to recover their stuff from the 4 corners of the earth.

If disbanding was permanent then we wouldn't be able to enjoy the wonderful sounds of Take That, which we are currently and I certainly would not have been able to see the Nolan Sisters last Saturday in the Fleece and Firking down our way. :thumright:

5. there was a room at woolwich, it had all regts & btys silver which had been put in suspended animation, i found some silver belonging to 145cdo bty, i wounder why 29cdo regt didnot claim it.

6. disbanded units' silver has now moved to Larkhill and is held by the RAI

7. disbanded units' silver has now moved to Larkhill and is held by the RAI

8. thanks for the info

9. i Belive when a regiment is disbanded all the Btys disappear for good where as suspended animation means the batterys in some form move to another regiment ie 2nd field where L,N and o still survive in at least some form. i could be wrong tho

civpop "o" as you call them were always "O" with a capital, as i remember there was never anything lower case about the "Rocket Troop, an oversight it may have been, and i do not wish to bore you with trivia but to some it is important.

10. Given thenumber of Regiments disbanded/suspended animation there must be tons of Silver, it must be quite an impressive sight. is it on display or just locked up?

11. Disbanded means just that, un-banded, dissolved, gone. Silverware returned, or otherwise distributed. Colours laid up.

Suspended Animation, means the unit still exists.... sort of. Everything is there (ie Colours and Silverware, traditions, etc.) ready for (hopeful) re-animation.

A Disbanded unit can be re-banded or un-disbanded but technically it is a different unit. Although many traditions are dredged from the past for the new unit to aspire to. A disbanded unit may turn in to a smaller unit, with the traditions passed down to a sub-unit. Ie 7 Div - 7 Bde.

Or the Grenadier, Coldstream and Scots Guards passing the Colours and traditions of their 2nd Battalions on to their Incremental (? is taht right?) Companies in London. (The ones with lots of toms in who stag on lots in London).

12. civpop "o" as you call them were always "O" with a capital, as i remember there was never anything lower case about the "Rocket Troop, an oversight it may have been, and i do not wish to bore you with trivia but to some it is important.

Yes you are right i appologse "O" was my only bty so i know how important it is, It was an over sight and i would never be bored as i see nothing about the Rocket Troop as beeng trivia. I feel maybe you are being a bit harsh on me as it was a type error but thats fine i bare no rocketeer a grudge.

13. Artillery Friends have a page on 68 Regt

68 Regt RA

However seems to be a training regt rather than a serving regt so to speak

14. at the time just locked up, "out of sight out of mind i guess"