Disband the RAF

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Good CO, Apr 5, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

There was a letter in yesterdays Telegraph from a retired RAF Air Offr which was an answer to a letter the previous day suggesting that we'd all be better off if the RAF was disbanded.  

Can anyone tell me what was in the original disband the RAF letter?  I assume it would have been reasonably well thought through to get published so was probably quite interesting.  And, as we all know, absolutely true!

(The Air Offr's reply related a staff college incident in which a senior naval lecturer declared that the Navy was clearly the most important of the services as 2/3 (?) of the world's surface is covered with water.  Question from RAF Flt Lt: "sir, could you remind us how much is covered by air?")  

2. Well Harrier Sqns are now almost permanently on ships now, so the 5* hotel boys get really pi**ed off when they deploy.

I think the plot was probably to do with how the concept of big airbases is now dead, and the current deployable airfild concept is better suited to the Navy, which probably has some merits.

3. Here is the orginal letter:

SIR - As your comment piece and front-page report yesterday demonstrated (Apr.02), Lt Cdr Burgess (letter, Mar. 25) is quite right about the need to address priorities in defence policy since the loss of the Royal Navy's Sea Harriers.

The first, and most urgent, priority is to follow up a proposal raised at the last defence review - the disbanding of the RAF. To have a massive, single-weapon organisation draining defence resources at the expense of the Army and, particularly, the Royal Navy is patently absurd.

History has demonstrated this fact time and time again (the Battle of the Atlantic, the bombing of Germany and the losses at the Falklands, for example). The continued existence of a separate service solely for aircraft is a dangerous nonsense.

Air capability should be returned to the Army and the Royal Navy before the defence of this country is finally rendered impossible by the current unbalanced arrangement.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks Bull.  I'll go and read the article he refers to if it's on the Torygraph website.

5. yes but the Navy got kicked in the nuts by the withdrawal of the Sea Harrier it leaves them with no air defence aircraft. harrier gr7/9 only will have asraam a visual range missile replacing amraam. a beyond visual range missile the GR9 also will not have a radar the blue vixen is alledglegly one of the best on the market. so idea for gr9 refit of harrier fit the blue vixen radar bit like the yanks did with av8b harrier (put old f18 radars on them) give it AMRAAM disband 1,3,4 sqns of the RAF and give them to the Fleet airarm