Disaster before D-Day

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@Daxx submitted a new resource:

Disaster before D-Day - Unravelling the tragedy at Slapton Sands

Back in the days when I was in the Andrew, I did the fairly regular weekenders run between Pompey and Guz (Plymouth). On occasion, I took the road that winds along Slapton Sands and I have stopped by the Sherman tank that is there as part of the memorial to those service personnel who died. I had a vague understanding that the deaths occurred during practice landings for D-Day, when an allied convoy was attacked by German E-Boat.
Stephen Wynn takes the detail of the story much deeper than...

Read more about this resource...

I was brought up in Devon, and in the 50s and 60s the tragic events at Slapton Sands were pretty well known. Since then, every so often, a journalist or author re-runs the story, sometimes with conspiracy theories woven into the fabric. But although it was clearly a tragic loss of life, the Germans didn't put two and two together and work out the relevance of the similarities between Slapton Sands and the Normandy beaches. From the review by @Daxx , I will probably buy this book.

One author of fiction, the late Leslie Thomas, wrote "The Magic Army" based on the real events.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was brought up in Devon, and in the 50s and 60s the tragic events at Slapton Sands were pretty well known. Since then, every so often, a journalist or author re-runs the story, sometimes with conspiracy theories woven into the fabric. But although it was clearly a tragic loss of life, the Germans didn't put two and two together and work out the relevance of the similarities between Slapton Sands and the Normandy beaches. From the review by @Daxx , I will probably buy this book.

One author of fiction, the late Leslie Thomas, wrote "The Magic Army" based on the real events.
Mate, if you pm me an address you can have my copy gratis.

Latest Threads