Disabled Veterans to get free travel in Scotland

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fatjock, Oct 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I do not know if this has been mentioned yet, it seems the scottish parliment are giving free bus travel to injured veterans.

2. I'm a war pensioner and have had free bus travel in England for quite a while.

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

How do you get it :?

4. It seems I was wrong: that bunch of cnuts at Holyrood are good for something after all! :D

But they're still a bunch of cnuts. :twisted:

5. OK Frank. But as an ex-army udder squeezer (I milked dem coos for aw der wurth) in the Vet Corps where do I stand??

I have housemaids knee (never worked in Charlotte square but polished range stoves etc) tennis elbow (never played it) and I'm riddled wi syph....

Gorgie Farm Vets - have you ever tried getin oan LRT wi a milkin stool???

6. Applied for a bus pass from my local council same as a "normal" pensioner.

Ring the local social services team or the council's Public Transport team or whatever they are called in your area, fill in some forms hand over a couple of photo's and wait for bus pass to drop through your letter box :D

7. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Is it Pukka :?

8. Yes. On the front of my pass it says "Concessionary travel funded by HM Government with your local authority"

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Are you sure that's specific to your War / Army pension and not the national scheme for over 6os and eligible disabled in England?

Link.

10. The concessionary bus fare scheme was extended in April this year to include England-wide travel for those over 60 or those with certain disabilities. The new extension will come into force in 2011 and will include people in the armed services under the age of 60 who have been seriously injured.

more details of the scheme(s) can be found here:

Department of Transport info

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Yes, but that's by 2011. Twenty B&H said that he'd had it for quite a while, which is why I asked.

And I appreciate the warning about Cyclops but you might have said I'd have to look at Swiss Des and Ainsworth as well!

12. From the link I posted earlier, Notice its says under 60 in this one

2.29 Concessionary Bus Travel. By 1 April
    2011, the statutory bus concession in
    England will be extended to include
    Service personnel and veterans under the
    age of 60, who were seriously injured in
    service and who are resident in England. A
    similar scheme already exists in Northern
    Ireland. Scottish Ministers will consider
    by April 2009 how to take forward this
    proposal as part of the three year review
    currently being carried out on the
    Scotland-wide Free Bus Scheme for Older
    and Disabled People. The Welsh Assembly
    Government is also undertaking a review
    of its concessionary fares scheme and
    this will include plans to extend eligibility
    to concessionary bus travel for Service
    personnel and veterans who were seriously
    injured in service.

13. All I can say is that I applied and got a free bus pass from my local council a couple of years ago, I was eligible as I was receiving a war pension. Last year I had to get re photographed and fill in the forms again because of the national scheme that was coming in. I'm under 60 and have a 60% war pension.

14. I thought the first shock would have made you immune to the other two gurning buffoons