Disabled Spouse

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by dazz, Mar 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I am trying to find out how I stand as the primary carer for my now disabled spouse. There appears to be very little guidence out there as regards what kind of support I am entitled to. There is loads of info if it is your child that has special needs but nothing at all if it is your spouse.

    Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Percy_Pigeon

    Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

    I have the same problem Mrs Pigeon is 38% disabled after an accident at work. I got pinged at 3 weeks notice for a tour so I never followed it up, so I bussed outlaws down and paid for a carer.

    I should have followed it through on help, but being the right end of the rank structure I could afford it, it was still a severe burden though.

    The neighbours and friends (both Mil and civi) were TOP, and I couldn’t have asked for more.

    I did however get my grass cut once or twice and some belated visits from the RFO.

    I would be interested (net sick) to see what help I could have received.

    Just a point to the mocking, I have never missed anything in 17yrs less 1 month when I cashed in my Ren leave and the odd school run.

    And WE are proud of it
  3. Have you thought of speaking to Army Welfare or to SSAFA. I'm sure they will be able to give you info or at least point you in the right direction.
  4. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Forces Special Needs Disability Support Group

    The Support Group aims to provide a focus for disability and special needs issues within the armed forces.

    The membership is free and open to:

    * parents of children with special needs and disabilities
    * serving personnel with a disability
    * partners of service personnel with a disability and carers

    Associate membership is available to:

    * professionals
    * volunteers
    * local or national disabilities groups who are interested in supporting Service families

    you will receive regular information on topics of interest, a quarterly newsletter and can also be put in touch with other members for support or to exchange information.
  5. AGAI 108 - Care of Service Personnel with Disabled and Special Needs (SN) Dependants exists for circumstances like yours Dazz. However, most people don't know it exists. The key point is

    a. Require a service person, who has a dependant with professionally diagnosed SN or disabilities or Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN), to notify the Chain of Command through unit adminstrative procedures in order that outline details may be included within the Service person's Record of Service (ROS)

    If you fail to notify the Chain of Command you are on your own and if you do notify your Chain of Command you are still on your own because they don't know about this AGAI and don't follow their own rules. Anyone who comes under this AGAI is meant to have an annual interview with their CO, have it annotated on their annual CR (box 8 on AF B2048) and be consulted during the posting process. If you are unable to fulfil the obligations they deem necessary to your capbadge they can transfer you.

    SSAFA in the UK aren't designed/set up for Army personnel as thats what AWS is for and AWS aren't interested unless they get a request from your unit to underake a report.

    My son has special needs and my unit was informed about his condition as soon as we realised he might have a "problem" back in Sept 2003 - three months after I started in my current post. I have still never seen my CO, my annual CR says nothing and MCM still try and post me wherever they want. I gave up asking about AGAI 108 because I was fed up with the Chain of Command asking what it was :lol:
  6. Try this link, they are the experts, they certainly helped me

    Good luck
  7. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    The your able site is really quite good and worth joining (probably best not to mention your an arrse boarder though) we're not very popular right now.

    Another place you might try is the Royal British legion.

    Hope everyting works out ok for you both, Living with a disabilty can really put a strain on both of you.

  8. http://benefitsandwork.co.uk

    Is also a great site for ANY help with regards to help with the disabled and they will assist in filling in forms if need be.
  9. Glad to hear that about your mate - about time someone was treated right. DHE as a rule are great for adapting properties or making necessary changes it's the usual lack of support from units which I find amazing. Although like everything else this support will depend on your capbade and trade I guess.