Disabled should be able to join armed forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by future_rupert, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought they were:

Officer corps and AGC SPS

;)

2. Shouldn't we start from a position of 'What is Disabled'?

It as as the honourale Arrser points out , misguided. It is right to try and offer continued employment to those disabled in service, but to recruit those who may be unable to pass the Army entrance tests?

Where does it end, how many times would the entry guidelines have to be rewritten?

3. Yep, let them in, if only to watch them doing drill on Youtube

4. As much as I hate to say it the Labour minister who was in the article came up with some pretty good points. We can not have a two tier Army/Air Force/Navy split between deployable and non deployable. The arguement that it will make more personnel available for operations is pretty weak. Each unit has a set amountof LSNs and all MCM Div are interested in is making sure each regiment is fully manned or as close to it as possible. They won't careif have the LSNs are filled with disabled personnel. When it comes to ops the regiments will then have to trawl to make up the numbers thus putting even more people out of harmonisation.

5. Hmmm the first Battalion the wheelchair warriors maybe? Imagine all the Challengers with blue badges on. Wheelchair access for assault courses (imagine the ramp to get over the wall and how will they do the rope swing?)

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Yup, let's replace all the ladders in our ships with Stannah stairlifts. And take out all the coamings so wheelchairs can get by.

7. blind ranges?

deaf rad ops?

8. Could be good in close quarter battle with their mong strength!

9. how much for a sections worth of these (with armour upgrade)?

[​IMG]

10. A classic case of retards representing the disabled.

11. We can´t have a two tier system but.....

If we retain (as we are doing so already) some of our injured troops to take on home duties ie admin support in training establishment and bases, we are helping our wounded out AND filling quotas.

There was a one armed Armoury NCO at Blandford for years. If necesary rerole existing civvie clk jobs in to uniform (albeit minus x factor) essentially a local contracted soldier (as per MPGS) et voila. Same for storeman, etc maybe even range staff.

No Serviceman would complain that he was off to war AGAIN, but the guy in the stores wasn´t if the guy in stres was diffi a leg due to mine strike, would they? The Welfare office could get a welfare clk who was injured.

The MPGS and the AWS, is already part of the AGC, so maybe AGC (Wounded Solders*) as the corps and MCM have a base knowledge of local contracts and welfare. It would save the Forces money too, as they would be getting someone in work who might otherwise just draw a war pension.#

*Can´t think of a better title :( # I am not deriding this by the way, just thinking like a bean counter :twisted:

Pluses.

We LOOK AFTER OUR WOUNDED.
    We meet the EU quotas.

Downsides.

er....
    Civvies get teh chop.
    Some of the retained personnel could be difficult to fit in to the system ie RSM to Pay Clk :D

12. On a serious note I agree with keeping in those who have been injured through service and employing them as best we can where possible, but how would a two tier armed forces work?
    Would we take away the x factor from those who joined up disabled? What roles could they take up without it being seen as discriminatory? How would we train two streams of recruit, the able bodied and the less able (whatever the correct term is today)? Would the obese be able to claim that they were disabled (cos its me glands innit) and therefore excused phys? Once we let them in we'll be getting sued by every potential recruit who has been refused entry on medical grounds.

13. Already been done .

The Welch Regiment 41st Foot

Raised in 1719 as Colonel Fielding's Regiment of invalids, changing in 1751 to the 41st Invalids.

14. Oy! :(