Disabled Parking

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Legs, Jun 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine was hurt in a pretty odd accident a few weeks back. After a seemingly normal trip over something during a PT session she has ended up with a pinned collarbone, and a badly broken lower leg which has also been pinned. As such she is in a wheelchair for 6-8 weeks.

Now, her hubby took her into town in his car. He parked in a disabled spot in a Council Car Park. Of course they didn't have a disabled badge, but there is no doubting that she is (albeit temporarily) disabled. He got a ticket, despite the fact that the Traffic Warden saw her in the wheel chair and was confronted (apparently politely).

The question: Is he likely to win his appeal? Is it fair that she is denied the use of a disabled bay when clearly she is disabled - and some folk get the badge just because they are fat lazy bastards?
  2. No she's not. She doesn't have a blue badge. That's about all the counts.

She can try, but I don't think she'll get away with it.

Why didn't the hubby drop her off then park the car?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah. Disabled Parking isn't for disabled people its a parking concession under the blue badge scheme and to qualify under the concession you have to display your blue badge and often times your blue clock! I'd appeal and when they throw out the appeal I'd take it to the ombudsman, they'll probably win on the grounds that the council wont turn up at the hearing.
  4. Most probably no. Parking in council car parks is subject to the T's and C's of the car park itself, and any byelaws the Council has passed; as such, you must have a 'blue badge' to park in a disabled bay. No badge, no right to park. However, I know that my local council will allow a person to have a temporary blue badge if they have a disabling short term illness/injury; requires a doctors note and a bit of Admin at your local council offices.
  5. Some councils do not allow Blue Badge holders to park free of charge.

The Blue Badge scheme is abused by many drivers.
  6. Sorry but as pointed out disabled parking isn't for the disabled, if you cannot exploit the system you are not allowed to park.
  7. I take my dear old mum out even when she doesn't want to go out,just so I can exploit her badge and park wherever I like.I usually buy her a packet of sweets and leave the radio and child locks on.
  8. Why was she in a wheelchair with a collarbone injury? Have you got a blue badge? No you say? Pay the fine.
    Good shout biscuits about appeals but who will end up paying the court costs?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Specsavers-Logo1.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  10. I watched a lady have a go at some chap who had parked in the disabled bay outside the supermarket, she had pulled up at an angle behing his car and was demanding that he reverse out and let her park.

The chap's answer was along the lines of "you seem to be mistaking me for someone who gives a ****".

At that stage she loudly said "well I am going to go and get the manager and see what he says" she then took off doing the march of the light division just to show how disabled she is.
  11. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

The offence is "Not displaying a valid blue badge". I would appeal displaying ignorance and hope the appeals manager had a heart ! I would plan on the fine though.
  12. The second offence may be "Failing to pay the appropriate charge"
  13. No Blue Badge no parky in disabled bay end of......However appeal to the council's better nature and if it's a first offence you may get it cancelled,But then again it may not but it's always worth appealing against the PCN !
  14. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

look at pepipoo.com
  15. And if the parking warden had come 10 minutes later when the wheelchair was gone? How would they have known then? The sign says Blue Badge holders. It's extremely easy to get a blue badge in UK hence the misuse by some people.
    • Like Like x 1