Disabled by grenade - now soldier fights for his benefits.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AIR FILTER, Jan 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well the DWP are going to be toast, I noticed his pal is a Lib Dem politician who should be able to get this onto the front benches with a couple of well placed emails and strategic phone calls.
    Scottish Widows has shot itself in the foot as well, well I won't be going there for any more advice.

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

that will be ATOS again deciding he can work in a call centre. they dont count ptsd either unless you have actually taken out half the pub in anger.

• Like Like x 2
  3. If he doesn't meet the criteria the insurance company set, that's it.

4. its outragious they dont take ptsd into consideration, one boss actually told me'we have all had traumatic experiences mate, lets not dwell on it shall we'

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I agree with the not letting it get you down but it doesn't stop you snapping every now and again.

I like the 'post trauma means you survived so man up' :)

who are the east and west riding regt? is that what used to be 1-4 yorks.

6. best boss i ever had, told me, so long as i dont take the piss, gett word to him within 48 hours if i am having a funny turjn and he will make sure i am 'on site'

top bloke he was.

7. Why will they be toast? They'll answer the request by the MP within 7 days as per their guidelines and if it's found that a wrongful decision has been made they'll reopen his claim and pay any backdated money owed. It's not like the MP is gonna round up a posse of frontbenchers and clean up the DWP with .45's and lynchings is it?

As for Scottish Widows, I'm sure they're shitting themselves over the potential loss of your millions.

• Like Like x 7
  8. "I have got most of my life back now. I don't have to think too hard about what I'm going to do and where I'm going to do it," he said.

to be a bit brutally frank, making public statements like that are a bit stupid if you're going to press on with the position you are severely disabled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Perhaps he's a lot better and doesn't need the money now?

10. The statement was made to the BBC before his run in with the DWP/Scottish Widows it would seem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well thats just it isn't it....a bit of guts and optimism will lose you support, unless you fit a nice, loser, no hoper, please help me , profile. It is much easier to cut you off from the support teat and **** you off into the wild world if you show some guts. To benefit the most from the system as it stands the only things required are a scumbag "entitlement" mentality and an absence of shame, (although having a sympathetic social commissar on side will help bypass any embarrassing face to face situations, and difficult questionaires).

• Like Like x 4
  12. Firstly I must apologise for ATOS being a French company whose business ethics appal me. Their main business being international IT Services & Consulting so why they claim to be healthcare professionals God only knows!! The UK arm of the company (ATOS Healthcare) was appointed to advise your government (Tony Bliar) about a person's ability to work. Sorry will rephrase that: On how to avoid paying disability benefits!! Most of their staff are the dregs of medical school students, the most incompetent 5%, who are not required to hold formal postgraduate qualifications in disability assessment medicine, neither are they required to declare that they hold the DDAM qualification to their employers thus they are not allowed to practice here. Add to which a smattering of third-world “doctors” who can hardly speak a word of your language and you have the biggest cluster**** this side of Christendom.

This company is paid enormous amounts of your money based on the results it achieves. Therefore the more money it can save your government in benefit payments the more it can earn!! So money is not going to those that deserve it but into the pockets of fat cats.

Rant over

• Like Like x 7
  13. I was telling my mate about my
    wife blowing herself up in a
    suicide.

"That's awful, did she leave a
    ... note?"

"No, but she did text."

"What did it say?"

"Don't forget to turn the gas off."

• Like Like x 1
  14. One clarification. Atos was appointed by Tony Blair's Administration to advise on Employment Support Allowance (ESA) entitlement and whether people should expect to have to work. The complainant appears to have demonstrated his ability to work off his own bat. Nothing to do with Atos.

The current Government were the people that extended the remit to directly affect Disability Living Allowance when it is replaced by the Personal Independence Payment. The declared intent of that programme being to cut benefit payments by 25% within 3 years of implementation. No mention in the article of his losing DLA. Again nothing to do with Atos.

Arrsers have almost unanimously applauded IDS for accelerating benefit reform. This is a site where people are generally very ready to brand anyone on benefit a skiver or scrounger yet as soon as the loser is an ex serviceman then it appears the rules, the same as those applied to anyone else with similar injury or disability, are deemed wrong.

The withdrawn allowances appear to be Carers Allowance related rather than Income Support. It has nothing to do with Atos.

Benefits are for people that need them. Doesn't matter how the need arose. Grenade, car crash, drunken accident or birth the rules are the same

• Like Like x 1