Disability War

Hi All

Quick Question, I receive a Disability War Pension, and Lower Standard of Occupation Allowance. I am able to take my Military Pension, having reached the ripe old age of 60, next year.

Will this have any effect on my Disability War pension or LSOA. And, how long can i receive this. IE. Does it end when I start taking State Pension?

I’ve tried the Veterans Agency, but the current restrictions mean a limited service is available, none of which are able to answer this question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi All

Quick Question, I receive a Disability War Pension, and Lower Standard of Occupation Allowance. I am able to take my Military Pension, having reached the ripe old age of 60, next year.

Will this have any effect on my Disability War pension or LSOA. And, how long can i receive this. IE. Does it end when I start taking State Pension?

I’ve tried the Veterans Agency, but the current restrictions mean a limited service is available, none of which are able to answer this question.

@Forces Pension Society might be able to advise. As I've tagged them, hopefully they will see this post.

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
If what you are receiving is a War Pension rather than an AFPS invaliding pension, there will be a preserved pension waiting for you if you met the minimum service criteria.
  • If you left on or after 6 April 1988 that would be 2 years service after the age of 18 for an OR;
  • If you left on or after 6 April 1983 but before 6 April 1988, it would be 5 yrs service irrespective or age;
  • If you left on or after 1 April 1978 but before 6 April 1983, it would be 5 years service after the age of 18 for an OR
If you are not sure what sort of pension you are receiving, simply print out and submit the attached form to get a free pension forecast. That will result in either a forecast (and probably a claim form for use next year) or a letter explaining that your existing pension is your service invaliding pension.

Attachments

• AFPS_Form_14.doc
    608.5 KB · Views: 6
If what you are receiving is a War Pension rather than an AFPS invaliding pension, there will be a preserved pension waiting for you if you met the minimum service criteria.
  • If you left on or after 6 April 1988 that would be 2 years service after the age of 18 for an OR;
  • If you left on or after 6 April 1983 but before 6 April 1988, it would be 5 yrs service irrespective or age;
  • If you left on or after 1 April 1978 but before 6 April 1983, it would be 5 years service after the age of 18 for an OR
If you are not sure what sort of pension you are receiving, simply print out and submit the attached form to get a free pension forecast. That will result in either a forecast (and probably a claim form for use next year) or a letter explaining that your existing pension is your service invaliding pension.
Thank you so very much for your reply.
Its a Preserved pension (left the services 1990) that i will be entitled to take, at 60. I am also in reciept of a Disability War Pension (assesed at 60%), and Lowered Standard Of Occupation Allowance. I am wondering if Disability War Pension is payable for life, or is it replaced by the State Pension when i reach that age? Also, if i was to take my Preserved Pension, at 60, would this effect my Disabilty Pension and/or Lowered Standard of Occupation Allowance. Its more of a general question rather than a specifics to figures.

Thank you

Last edited:

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Yes, DaveGriff. The service damaged you and the pension is payable for life. The preserved pension will not affect your War Pension. I am no expert on benefits but, as the preserved pension counts as earned income, I would imagine it would have an impact on any DWP benefits you are receiving.

The state pension is a separate entitlement again. You will have paid National Insurance Contributions (NICs) towards your state pension and it is paid as well as the other two pensions. There is an impact on the AFPS pension at state pension age and the attached, which was published in Pathfinder back in 2012, will explain it.

Attachments

• your state pension entitlement - explained - 14th june 2012.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 19

washedup

Clanker
Don’t know if it helps but I have been in receipt of full pension after medical discharge, 60% war pension and ALSO for the last thirteen years.

Hi All

I don't know if you are eligible but this may be worth a read depending on the extent