Disability Discrimination?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Fairly certain this is the right Forum (it says Law on the title), but if not, please feel free to move. Hopefully its a quick answer anyway.

A friend of mine was in whterspoons for lunch earlier today. Being a disabled gent (stroke victim, walks with a stick and lost use of an arm), he ordered drinks at the bar and asked if someone could bring them to the table as he was unable to carry them. The barmaid point blank refused, saying he should have ordered via the app to get table service. Another pub customer offered to bring them over instead.
Subsequently, my friend complained to the manager who apologised and said it shouldnt have happened, he would be having words. All good, and i think my friend is happy with that. However, as it is more interesting than work, i am wondering if the above was actually illegal? My understanding of the DDA is from the employment side, in that there is a requirement to make reasonable allowances for someones disability?

This correct, premises should be accessible to disabled customers where possible and help provided where required. However, being Deaf I can sit here all day and list the companies that make no provision for Deaf/HOH people, and those that do often only do the bear minimum.

Your friend was in the right and all he had to say is he can't use a mobile and they are in breach. There will be a legal eagle a long soon to explain it properly I expect.

Tuffty

War Hero
Lets cut through the legal blx and just say the barmaid was an ignorant tw*t, one day the foot may be on the other boot. Karma has a way of bitting tw*ts like her in the ass. Oh and name and shame the boozer please

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably all of them.

chuggafugga

On ROPS
On ROPs
Fairly certain this is the right Forum (it says Law on the title), but if not, please feel free to move. Hopefully its a quick answer anyway.

A friend of mine was in whterspoons for lunch earlier today. Being a disabled gent (stroke victim, walks with a stick and lost use of an arm), he ordered drinks at the bar and asked if someone could bring them to the table as he was unable to carry them. The barmaid point blank refused, saying he should have ordered via the app to get table service. Another pub customer offered to bring them over instead.
Subsequently, my friend complained to the manager who apologised and said it shouldnt have happened, he would be having words. All good, and i think my friend is happy with that. However, as it is more interesting than work, i am wondering if the above was actually illegal? My understanding of the DDA is from the employment side, in that there is a requirement to make reasonable allowances for someones disability?
Technically the DDA is applies to employment law, the venue doesn't HAVE to make adjustments to accomodate customers with disabilities, venues can refuse any one service...

I can't imagine how your friend felt however, sounds disgusting how she did that...

What was the venue?

chuggafugga

On ROPS
On ROPs

I just looked it up, yes it also applies to provision of services etc

Technically the DDA is applies to employment law, the venue doesn't HAVE to make adjustments to accomodate customers with disabilities, venues can refuse any one service...

I can't imagine how your friend felt however, sounds disgusting how she did that...

What was the venue?
Beg to differ, if you are providing a service you are obliged to comply with the DDA.

And being someone that is on the receiving end of this daily I have sort of got my understanding pretty much on the nail.

Fake Sheikh

On ROPS
On ROPs

What was the venue?
You are talking shite. Again.

Duty of providers of services to make adjustments.
[F1(1)Where a provider of services has a practice, policy or procedure which makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for disabled persons to make use of a service which he provides, or is prepared to provide, to other members of the public, it is his duty to take such steps as it is reasonable, in all the circumstances of the case, for him to have to take in order to change that practice, policy or procedure so that it no longer has that effect.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer

i used to drink regularly in a pub in farringdon, me and my workmates used to spend a couple of hundred pounds a session.
One night I ask the barman as he was passing me to bring over a bottle of wine and put it on my card behind the ramp.
He point blank refused and said if he did that they'd all want it .
Are you sure I said me an my team spends fortunes in here ? (i was being extremely polite as well.) nope he says.
so knowing where he had just been ... I said where have you just been then ? over there to the table next to you , What was you doing over there then >? taking the customer his beer .
So why cant you bring me a bottle of wine then ?
Because hes drinking Guinness ! He said triumphantly, what does that mean then ?
Ell he couldn't stand there and wait for it to settle so i brought it over ..... as he won the Argument I dutifully went to the bar and bought two bottles of wine as someone else now wanted one on our table .

However we took our custom to a back street pub which was grateful for the extra money in the till.
the old guv met me in the street one day and asked me why we dont come in any more so I told him and that was the end of the matter . Cash is Ki ng

Latest Threads