DirectX and CoD2

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Swamp_Rat, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just installed and trying to run Call of Duty 2.

The programme begins startup then displays an error message;

"DirectX Error DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error. Please check DirectX Help document for possible details."

I've checked and installed DirectX upgrades and driver updates.

Anyone had this problem before?

Do I need to get another graphics card?

(DELL Dimension5100, WinXP, 1gigRAM)

TIA

2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Click Start / Run, and type in "dxdiag"

What does it say for DirectX Version?

3. DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Clicking the 'display' tab, under DirectX Features, it says;
    DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
    Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
    AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

The graphics card is Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, so I'm wondering if I need a better graphics card. The current driver is up to date.

4. I don't have the original Windows installation disks. This is a straight-from-the-factory everything fitted good-to-go machine.

5. I expect CoD2 requires a DX9 compatible graphics card and by the looks of it you are using an onboard graphics card (ie it is built into your motherboard). You will need a new card for the game to work. Check out the game specs on the side of the box.....(assuming you have the box...)

6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Agreed.

Clicky

These guy's are pretty good, very helpful, and actually know the meaning of customer support.

7. Hi,

can I suggest you buy a 256 meg grasphics card, I use the same PC at home and I picked up a nvidia 256 meg card for about £20 pls P&P on ebay. It make a huge difference.

You will need t odiable the onboard graphics card in the system control panel and reboot, suggest you go to the Dell support site.

8. New card it is then, thanks for confirming my expectation and many thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Send pic of your chocolate starfish and I will kiss it with glee.

9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Kiss away:

[​IMG]