Directory of Murals in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by FunkyNewBlood, Jul 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. Very nice - but now is the time to paint over the bloody lot!

3. Two older favourites of mine:

On roofs near Shillington Bridge in Portadown after Loughgall:

SAS 10, IRA 0

On a wall in Sandy Row during hunger strikes:

We'll never forget you Jimmy Sands

4. RD - Give my head Peace!

5. Painted on a rural road many years ago near Carrickmore was:

Brits out
    RUC out
    UDR out

To which someone had added 'Roger out'

6. RGSM I understand where you're coming from and to a degree I agree with you, but I'm a firm believer in allowing our heritages and histories to be maintained and protected.

I'm not saying every single mural should be kept, but those of the greatest historical value and in conjunction with a history booklet and lessons for the children, and indeed adults, wishing to study and be educated in the history of these troubled times should be selected and maintained.

I think enough of this has existed for too long.

Beebs

7. you will have a riot on your hands if you tried to remove ANY of them
    the local authorities are inclined to ignore them and let time and weather do the rest

8. Risking a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

loughall was 8-0 not 10

the hunger striker was bobby sands

9. That's why they're good like.

Personally I was quite fond of the "FARC off Gerry Kelly" that appeared in Sandy Row about the same time as the "Columbia Three".

I also enjoyed "Trimble is a trader!" which appeared on one of the M1 motorway bridges after the GFA.

"Chuckie Are La!" is still visible beside the door of the Europa Bus Station, penned by a patent "Gaelic Walt"

My particular favourite though was "Tigger's Bay UFF" on one of the security cameras in Tiger's Bay a loyalist area of North Belfast.

I've never viewed Winnie The Pooh in the same light since.

10. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

On a large wooden fence facing Bessbrook Mill:

'SINPERS HERE'

11. Yes I know hunger striker was Bobby - the irony was in the fact that Loyalists had put "Jimmy Sands" Just to let the other side know t hat yes, he would be forgotten, at least by Orangemen.

Loughgall - you are right, my memory did not serve me well enough there. Strange though as I drove past it twice a day for 4 years and the van (or should I say collander) in question ended up in our barracks for a while. Funny how the mind plays tricks.

12. After Bloody Sunday

"We've Got One
    We've Got Two
    We've Got Thirteen More Than You!"

13. the van (or should I say collander) in question ended up in our barracks for a while.

Now that would make a nice gate guard for a camp :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. My favourite was the plea for freedom on a wall in Bushmills that ran
    "Free are loyalist prisoners now!"