Director of Military Operations (DMO)

Who, or what, was/is DMO? I've tried to find him on the GAL and via wikipedia, but no success, which kind of indicates he's either been renamed, or removed.

Many thanks in advance!

Whats the pay like? Is it rotational? Plenty of leave? Do i Need special boots, i've got a CRB check

Director would suggest 1* rank.
Mil Ops would suggest Ops Directorate.
There are 2 x 1*s in Ops Directorate as Asst Heads (possibly re-alligned from 'Director' Level), working to ACDS Ops (2*)

He's been AWOL since 2002.

Director would suggest 1* rank.
Mil Ops would suggest Ops Directorate.
There are 2 x 1*s in Ops Directorate as Asst Heads (possibly re-alligned from 'Director' Level), working to ACDS Ops (2*)

That's what I thought, but the importance attached to DMOs in various books/papers I've read would indicate that they are a singleton post. Perhaps the head of the DCMO - but I'm guessing, hence the question!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
DMO was the Army Staff Directorate in MOD in the old days - MO1, MO2, MO3 etc etc.

Now it's just boring old Ops Directorate.................

And they've let the Navy and the RAF in - whatever next.

Ah, I see.....

DMO was the Army Staff Directorate in MOD in the old days - MO1, MO2, MO3 etc etc.

Now it's just boring old Ops Directorate.................

And they've let the Navy and the RAF in - whatever next.

Probably why they had to drop the Military bit in the title.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
When I was working there on the '4th Floor' (that's effectively the MOD Ops Room) my desk was right next to an area that was then called 'Strategic Plans'. It's now called something completely different (to confuse the enemy) and has moved. Anyway, the Strat Plans 'turret' remained empty for a while before the Loggies from 1F turned up and I had to leave. Before they arrived I used to wander about in there and see if there was anything worth having...... you know, strategic plans and stuff;)

Imagine my surprise when I found that the signed portrait of Monty, with a few inked sentences thanking Strat Plans' forebears for their work in WW2 was just chucked into a corner......

I thought about nicking it as it would have fitted neatly into my little 'weekly commuter daysack'. I steeled myself and went in there one Friday after 1400 when the whole of MOD was deserted :).

It had gone and my integrity had been inadvertently saved.

To this day I have no idea whether it's in IPP or in the possession of a craftier bugger than me!

Seriously for a moment - as said above, DMO went circa 2000 when the operational policy area in MOD was reorganised; everything went Joint, with the three Services and the Civil Service ops policy teams all forced into assorted shot-gun marriages. Previously, the Director of Military Operations had been a Brigadier's slot for many decades, although if one went back far enough - certainly to the 1920s - it had been a Major General's post. As memory serves, MO1 was focused on main effort ops, MO2 was NI and Them, MO3 was Rest of World, and MO4 was Arms Control. The irony of course during the 80s and 90s at least, was that all real the work was done in MO2 and MO3, although MO1 was still officially the prize posting... The matelots and crabs had similar Directors of Ops. Before the refurbishment of Main Building, there was a magnificent rogues gallery, in the corridor outside their offices, of portraits of all the DMOs going back to the Edwardian picture. Some very Hogmanay Melchett types to be admired... My favourite was of a pinstriped Brigadier, complete with bristling moustache, from the early 1960s, who had clearly demanded an "action portrait" - barking directives down a telephone.

Donny

ADC
Hydrodynamics.
Quite right - have a like. It must be to enable left and right turns on the march. Best to leave the dimples un-ironed if you only want to march in a straight line.

Who would have thought Guardsmen would be so familiar with the details of laminar and turbulent boundary layers. I take my hat off to them..

Seriously for a moment - as said above, DMO went circa 2000 when the operational policy area in MOD was reorganised; everything went Joint, with the three Services and the Civil Service ops policy teams all forced into assorted shot-gun marriages. Previously, the Director of Military Operations had been a Brigadier's slot for many decades, although if one went back far enough - certainly to the 1920s - it had been a Major General's post. As memory serves, MO1 was focused on main effort ops, MO2 was NI and Them, MO3 was Rest of World, and MO4 was Arms Control. The irony of course during the 80s and 90s at least, was that all real the work was done in MO2 and MO3, although MO1 was still officially the prize posting... The matelots and crabs had similar Directors of Ops. Before the refurbishment of Main Building, there was a magnificent rogues gallery, in the corridor outside their offices, of portraits of all the DMOs going back to the Edwardian picture. Some very Hogmanay Melchett types to be admired... My favourite was of a pinstriped Brigadier, complete with bristling moustache, from the early 1960s, who had clearly demanded an "action portrait" - barking directives down a telephone.

FFS...and we think that we have a bloated Staff Corps now...

chimera

LE

DMO (with DNO, DAirO) also preceded the formation of the PJHQ. When that was formed the Directorates significantly slimmed down as the "current ops" focus moved to Northwood. DMO stayed busy for longer, as it kept the NI/UK Ops function until that morphed into D CT UK Ops. DMO was one of what was called the "D3" working to the CGS, the others directors being D Army Plans (which ran the Army Programme i.e. money), and D Army Staff Duties, which did high level organisiation and establishment. It was very much an elite staff posting, with most of the desk officers having come direct from sub unit command and operational tours. They were the last vestige of the power of the single service Chiefs, before the Central Staffs took over pretty much everything.

Having separate MO sections in the 1980s/1990s for "main effort", NI and Them, Rest of the World and Arms Control, all under the direction of a single Brigadier, doesn't seem that bloated to me.

I'd agree. 'Bloatedness', however, is prevalent across all areas of today's Army, caused in the main by the belief that unless something is complicated and novel it can't be of any value. The simplest of operations requires a set of orders that would rival 'War and Peace' for volume.

jim30

LE
As a seasoned 4th floor warrior, I have never seen said picture of Monty. But I've seen plenty of very odd gifts out there, plus a fair few cool knick knacks (old we177 round anyone?).

The irony of Ops Dir having a super ninja uk ct ops 'first eleven' to handle all the punchy uk ops side always seemed to be rather undermined by the discovery that by the time you got to the provinces and regional forces, it wasn't so much 'first eleven' as the 'I opened withWG Grace and what's this about Maefeking' team present to play with...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads