Direction request... Normandy Landings

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by GDSB, Oct 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. post removed thanks for the help
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Try 'Forgotten voices; D Day' It is very good and contains a great deal of info from troops on the ground.
  3. How about any of the hundreds of books on D-Day, the most recent of which is by Anthony Beevor. How about a trip to the Imperial War museam who may know a thing or two on the subject.

How about, just for giggles, the problems associated with weather, supply, the tactical and strategic ability of the commanders, R&D, the airborne drop, etc etc etc...........................
  4. msr

msr LE

Go the the Isle of Wight and head South.

5. This site should cover it

I went in June 2004 for the 60th Anniversary, what is particularly moving is driving along you will see small round signs, on closer inspection they show the exact date and time and name rank unit of fallen soldier.

The parchute museum in St Mere Eglise is tip top.
  6. try southwick park as they have the map room and lots of info where the d day landings where planned
  8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

How about how D Day success was the result of painful learning experiences in North Africa and Dieppe, especially the need for armoured comabt engineering.

Or how the logistics effort after the invasion supported the subsequent operations

Bit of a different slat
  9. See also previous experience at Gallipoli.

There recently was an interesting piece on the 'Coast' TV show about the int build-up - lots of people sending in pre-war holiday snaps, postcards, etc and the derring-do of sappers carrying out covert beach recces to establish ground conditions.

Weather was a major issue and control of Iceland was key in the Allies being able to 'out-forecast' the Germans. (Hence why senior commanders were back in the Fatherland on leave).

Most disturbingly, the local population was French.
  10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Some great stuff about on D Day weather, lots of politics, US - UK rivalry (we were right by the way), cutting edge technology fro Norwegians and a generous helping of derring do.

In relation to your original post the problems seemed to be

managing the politics
    keeping the whole thing as secret as possible for as long as possible
    putting the Germans off balance (see point above)
    picking the right moment in terms of tide, moon and weather
    assembling and coordinating a massive all arms operation
    getting ashore
    getting off the beaches
    reinforcing the beach head
    breaking out
    keeping the force supplied with food, fuel, ammunition, spare etc etc

Then, what to do after that
  11. I've been looking at this a little myself recently. If you wanted a research topic a few areas I noticed which were 'underdeveloped' were (along the theme of);

The effectiveness of the pre deployment training.
    A comparrision between the attitudes of British and American soldiers.
    Effective use of air cover/naval guns?
    The use of SIGINT against the defenders.
    The difference between the army of 1939 and 1944 - with regards to its use of fire/manoeuvre/armour etc.

Whilst I would consider myself an academic with a speciality in military history - my primary area of research concerns UN ops and not the Second World War. I certainly haven’t read all of the literature surrounding it and so these many have been covered else where.
  12. I am not sure what you expect from this forum, but aren't;lt you being lazy by asking for someone to spoon feed you?

D Day is one of THE most documented operations in military history - and Mr Google offers 451million entries on D Day the internet. The top one is wikipedia D Day. This and the associated entry for Operation overlord contains a lot of basic information.

It doesn't sound as if you are really engaging your brain on this research. A typical group of Junior Soldiers in week four with low BARB test scores can identify 20 relevant bullet points within 10 minutes, just by using their imagination backed by their knowledge from computer games and films.

You need to think through the problem to benefit from the education.

Were there really "loads of Germans " compared to the Allies?
    What were the relative strengths and weaknesses of each side?
    What did each side do to attempt to frustrate the other
    What were the plans of each side a- and how well did they work?
    How well did each side's training/ leadership/motivation enable their soldiers to perform

If you are genuinely seeking to find a new angle and not simply monging it, you need to find something not already written about. D Day is a tough topic because it's been written about so much. You would be better writing about the invasion of Southern France or Italy or the Dodecanese in 1943. Even the professionals struggle to find a new angle. Anthony Beevoir managed to write about the French Civilian experience in his 65th anniversary tome, but most of what he wrote has already been written.
  13. Its funny but my girlfriend boys, fifteen year old twins had this as a history question the other day? they borrowed all my D Day books and believe it or not did the research themselves, so get off your Arrse and do a trip to the library
  14. Try -

The Story of 79th Armoured Division by Anonymous
    XXII Dragoons: The Story of a Regiment by Raymond Birt

both available through

I have also posted in this forum some stuff from diaries of officers of 22nd Dragoons before, on and after D Day.

Oodles of stuff at The National Archives and places like The Tank Museum Archives.