Direct recruiting from Prisons now a reality

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Baldrick66, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs B has just returned from her shift at the local nick to give me good news..........
    The Army is now recruiting directly from the local prisons. Her briefing today outlined that prisoners with 'minor offences' could now apply for the armed forces whilst still inside. Each application would be on a case by case basis and ACIO interviews etc may be conducted in the nick itself.
    WTF are we really getting that strapped for manpower? Are standards going back to the days of Service or Jail? Can't recruit in schools any more, so we'll tap a 'captive' audience?

2. It's not that bad an idea, there's a lot of young lads in jail who would make good soldiers and for whom the latest outreach program is a waste of time. There's nothing like a Corporal screaming in your ear for motivation.

3. I have known a few crims who would have benefited from this and turned out allright. Keep away from sex offenders and the terminally dim though!

Trotsky

4. Sven Hassel time!

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Why are those quotas already fulfilled? :wink:

6. We had a Bn full of crims before the last defence review............1 Kings :lol:

7. Mate,

It was not that long ago that recruiters were trawling the haunts of the homeless in London, dishing out soup, trying to get down and out ex soldiers and those with no previous experience to re-join/join. The caveat at the time was that the would sign a contract to kick their respective habits, if they had one.

8. UK is usually a couple of paces behind the US in all things novel...

"...This is where waivers come in. According to statistics provided to Salon by the office of the assistant secretary of defense for public affairs, the Army said that 17 percent (21,880 new soldiers) of its 2005 recruits were admitted under waivers. Put another way, more soldiers than are in an entire infantry division entered the Army in 2005 without meeting normal standards. This use of waivers represents a 42 percent increase since the pre-Iraq year of 2000. (All annual figures used in this article are based on the government's fiscal year, which runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30. So fiscal year 2006 began Oct. 1, 2005.)
    "The more of those people you take, the more problems you are going to have and the less effective they are going to be," said Lawrence J. Korb, an assistant secretary of defense under Reagan and a senior fellow at the progressive Center for American Progress. "This is another way you are lowering your standards to meet your goals." Retired Lt. Gen. William E. Odom, who was the Army's chief intelligence officer from 1981 to 1985, also called the increase in waivers "disturbing." http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/02/waivers/

"Some recruits had criminal records of assault, breaking and entering, and possessing drugs
    Taken together, the troubling statistics from the Army and anecdotal information derived from the files of the Air National Guard raise a warning flag about the extent to which the military is lowering its standards to fight the war in Iraq. The president may be correct in his recent press conference boast that "we're transforming the military." But the abuse of recruiting waivers prompts the question: In what direction is this military transformation headed? "http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/02/waivers/index1.html

9. Sounds like a good thing, there's a lot of young guys who need a way out, and also need to be straightened out a bit. If they're no use then they'll be binned early, that part of it won't be reduced.

10. Mine clearance?
    All hold hands and walk that way..... ;)

11. Well students can join of course.

12. Anyone just seen Johnny vaughn taking the piss out of this on 8 out of 10 cans! lol

13. Saw it Lewis, was a good little rant wasn't it.

14. The Burglars of 3rd platoon Burmdsey fusiliers lol

15. Dunno about this. I had some troubles(all drink related; violence against willing participants, parked cars, etc.) after I released. Still a good soldier as far as I can see. makes alot of sense. Even real psychos are better suited to suceeding when surrounded by a strict order. They should recruit non-freakishly violent offenders with the caveat that if they get RTU or charged, it back to the nick....