Direct Entry UKSF

Detonator said:
They're commandos, and "green berets" just like the links you posted. If the Aussies call them special forces then thats up to them.

I think they are classed as Tier 1 Special Forces though just like the Aussie SASR

Where as the 'green berets' in the US are regarded as SF, the Royal Marines are in the UK are not, contrary to them having a green lid ;)

not at all, its just that Aussie commando's are classed as SF within the Aussie Army and get paid alot more than a soldier in the Aussie Army, whereas RM get the same as a Line Infantry.

I used to hang around with a lot of 'Green Beret's' on a cushy Op many years ago. Nice guys but only really struck me as advanced Infantry and not SF in the true sense.

We had a VERY hard Para Colour (call him HB) with us and he scared them shitless (Me too). Any way HB just used to laugh at them when they tried to big themselves up. He managed to do a few jumps with them (from blackhawks) and they were hopeless (His quote not mine)

They did there annual trek thing (similar to the CFT) but it wasn't squadded, they had walkmans and it was at their own pace as long as they did it in the alloted time, which IIRC was normal 4mph pace.

Would UKSF suffer?, I suspect it would as several years of valuable experience wouldn't be there for guys directly entering that would have been gained at Bn or Regt level.

I'm not saying RM are not highly capable soldiers (marines) or that their training isn't the longest, best, most arduous available in the UK Armed Forces (from a civvy to a trained rank perspective), but I am saying that within the Western Military they are not classed as SF whereas the Aussie Commando' are classed as SF, hence their advanced training, extra pay etc

From the wikipedia article on the Green Berets [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Special_Forces ]:

It should be noted that the calling Special Forces soldiers "Green Berets" is a misconception and that other elite units such as SEALs, Rangers and others are not part of the Special Forces, but special operations forces (though they are "special forces" in the generic sense). Special Forces (always capitalize), SF, or Special Forces soldiers is the proper name of the United States Army Special Forces.
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_operations_forces

In the United States, the term Special Operations Forces (SOF) is used instead of Special Forces as Special Forces refers to a specific unit, the United States Army Special Forces, commonly called the "Green Berets".
It strikes me that special forces operators - SEALs, Deltas etc. - are distinct from Green Berets.

boredcivvy said:
Bravo_Bravo said:

............ do you think this direct UKSF entry system would work well for the UK?
Are you a civvy and bored by any chance? Cos this thread is bollox! :roll:

Can't see the value in recruiting civvies. What possible advantages are there over recruiting experienced soldiers? More applicants? Last I heard dozens were failing selection still so seems there is no recruitment problem.

What defines a force as special forces? They do something special? In that case, the signals are special because they do all that signalling malarchy.

Neither the Para's nor the Marines are special forces.

BC, you obviously think that you are "Special" as you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time starting threads about the same thing. Why don´t you join the forces, do your training and then have a think about how "Special" you are, or more to the point, let your unit decide whether you´re "Special". It´s very easy to day dream about selection from the safety of an armchair, or even out running or down the gym. Actually doing it and being beasted at their pace is another cup of tea.

Jorrocks said:
BC, you obviously think that you are "Special" as you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time starting threads about the same thing. Why don´t you join the forces, do your training and then have a think about how "Special" you are, or more to the point, let your unit decide whether you´re "Special". It´s very easy to day dream about selection from the safety of an armchair, or even out running or down the gym. Actually doing it and being beasted at their pace is another cup of tea.
I dont think I'm special at all! as I'm applying for a commission with the RAF Regiment. :lol: