Figures Diorama bases

A while back I made a couple of bases for someone's King & Country models, 1:32 scale. I added a couple of figures!

This one's called 'Relief at the front'.

20181009_2014591539113179886.jpg

20181009_2016321539113214840.jpg

Sorry! All privates deleted!

20181009_095024.jpg

Last edited:
This one's called the 'The big push'. Didn't get a pic of the guy glued on the base, but he's in the bushes for obvious reasons!

20181009_2015221539113755127.jpg

20181009_2015541539113771493.jpg

20181009_090302.jpg

20181009_090358.jpg

20181009_173220.jpg

Last edited:

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dad always tried to use natural materials, such as twigs and small bits of rock. But another trick he discovered was stale cement. Left in its bag long enough, it goes hard, but is crumbly. By breaking the cement into the size of rock/boulders you want. Then carefully drop them into bowl or cup of water, leave in till all the bubbles stop coming out, remove from water allow to dry. Then paint to suit.
IMG_20181010_144529.jpg

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dad always tried to use natural materials, such as twigs and small bits of rock. But another trick he discovered was stale cement. Left in its bag long enough, it goes hard, but is crumbly. By breaking the cement into the size of rock/boulders you want. Then carefully drop them into bowl or cup of water, leave in till all the bubbles stop coming out, remove from water allow to dry. Then paint to suit.
View attachment 356686
Great tip. Just the sort of thing needed on here

Robin, that's superb!!! Full of movement and character.

The rock what the NAP Indian is standing on is an example of the cement /rock that Dad discovered.
ps, The figures are Britain's play set. Dad striped and washed in soapie water. Primed in a flexible primer paint.
IMG_20170415_111850.jpg

Last edited:
Does that include the figure sculpt????

Wow! Wow! Wow! Amazing work!! I'm in awe of his skill.

He knocked up a dummy Grenade, I then had to wear my old combats and pose for him to take photos so he could get the folds of the clothing right. I'll dig it out and post so you get the idea.
Your modelling skills are not to be laughed at, the SE5a diorama is superb. The ol man passed away before I found ARS. He would have loved your skills. Especially seeing you love doing WW1.

Last edited:
Not my skills there I'm afraid! That is Kent Karlsen's work. Way beyond what I can do. I posted those pics as that is one of the best dioramas I've seen.

Copied this over from the Grant/Lee tank thread. Thanks go to Goldbricker for the info.

Well worth checking out the links!
--------------​
Shep Paine did those diorama sheets

The Lee had a crewman disarming a mine made from a Pz IV roadwheel
The Grant one had it passing a wrecked Pz IV
The Ostwind had the crew @ Arnhem surrendering to paras
The Sherman M4 had it hedgerow busting(and how to convert the bogie units to the later Heavy Duty units)
the M4A1 had a whitewash Ardennes scene

EDIT Found the sheets
Studium Magazine - Podcasts - Sheperd Paine

http://www.studium.com/graphics/miniatures/sp-lee.pdf

http://www.studium.com/graphics/miniatures/sp-grant.pdf

Last edited:
There are a lot of plaster or resin diorama bases out there. Companies like Great North Roads have an excellent 1:35th selection. I particularly like this one. You could dress it up in lots of different ways. Add your paint, slogans, grass and the like and you have an easy build but very effective display piece as you can see. This is GNR's paint job.

embankment-2.jpg

Off to Ypres for a week, so I thought I'd leave you with this. Based on a description of a combat in one of Dads collection of Great War book sets. I believe these guys are Canadians.
IMG_20170415_112828.jpg
IMG_20170415_112858.jpg

Oh wow!!!!! That is just awesome!!!!!! Brilliant work.

Latest Threads