Dinosaurs died because of climate change caused by their farts

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the bizarre theories I've seen for some time.

Dinosaurs 'produced enough flatulence to force climate change' | Mail Online

Did dinosaurs cause climate change? Huge creatures may have contributed to their own demise because they produced so much flatulence, say scientists

Dinosaurs may be partly to blame for a change in climate because they created so much flatulence, according to leading scientists. Professor Graeme Ruxton of St Andrews University, Scotland, said the giant animals spent 150 years emitting the potent global warming gas, methane. Large plant-eating sauropods would have been the main culprits because of the huge amounts of greenery they consumed.

The team calculated the animals would have collectively produced more than 520m tons of methane a year - more than all today's modern sources put together. It is thought these huge amounts could easily have been enough to warm the planet. It is even possible that the climate change was so catastrophic that it caused the dinosaurs eventual demise.

One of the animals, a 90-ton argentinosaurus, which measured 140ft in length, would have consumed at least half a ton of food in one day. After breaking down in the animal's stomach it would have produced thousands of litres of the greenhouse gas compared with a modern cow which only produces 200 litres of methane daily. Methane is up to 20 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide (CO2).
Puts our modern day farting into perspective...

Wordsmith

T

Tremaine

Excuse me..any chance of that working on illegal immigrants? Sorry, crack on. Two sugars is it? biscuits? That's the door I think

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
No climate change is a new thing.
We must build more windmills to save the world.

Only as crazy as the 'asteroid' theory...

We know something caused a change in climate, and the dinos died and turned to oil.

If you weigh 14 tonnes and all you have to eat is fucking broccoli trees, well what can you do?

The coal reserves was in fact a global attempt made my the dinosaurs to provide the earth with a giant odour eater......

Now if the QM had issued all the dinos with lighters, they could have burned off the methane. As the resulting CO2 is less of a climate killer than methane, then the dinos would still be alive today.
Easy.

The team calculated the animals would have collectively produced more than 520m tons of methane a year - more than all today's modern sources put together. It is thought these huge amounts could easily have been enough to warm the planet. It is even possible that the climate change was so catastrophic that it caused the dinosaurs eventual demise.

Does this mean that the Dinosaurs use to blow their own trumpet

working on that theory my bedroom should be warmer than the gobi desert.

B

bokkatankie

Any one remember the good old game of dutch ovens? Great stuff, fart, hold wife under duvet until she cries surrender.

Alternative was shower game, bit like above but feed poisonous gas into shower outlet, on balance far more effective than dutch ovens, only downside was lack of long term fun.

ah, well. It must have been added to with all those Heiniken, pickled eggs and pickled onion eating and farting contests held in various NAAFI bars in Germany through the 1960s and 1970s that probably brought the Berlin Wall down eventually, and caused communisms to fail.... Hmmm, now is that correct?

One of the animals, a 90-ton argentinosaurus, which measured 140ft in length

bloody argentines again

unfortunately that is the only pic I have found of her. someone else might be able to get stuff for you though

I googled girls with skull tattoos....good luck :)

This is the yurt-tendency trying to answer the old...."well who the fuck was driving gas-guzzlers 100,000 years ago then" argument.