Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dimensioned drawing of No.5 flash suppressor / bayonet lug

Someone's asked me if I could find a dimensioned drawing of the No.5 bayonet lug, specifically. His rifle has had the lug hacked off and he'd like to restore it.

Has anyone got a drawing, or a rifle and the skills and 5 minutes to make one? Metric preferably ;)

If not, next time I go to Valais I'll take my vernier calipers and measure up a friend's rifle.

They are very good at sending out prints of SAID etc. If you get no joy there I suggest you get in touch with our friendly RFD in Derbyshire as he has made a few without the Bayonet lug.
He can source the correct bayonet too.
Alternatively weld on a lump and get filing!

They are very good at sending out prints of SAID etc. If you get no joy there I suggest you get in touch with our friendly RFD in Derbyshire as he has made a few without the Bayonet lug.
He can source the correct bayonet too.
Alternatively weld on a lump and get filing!

That's what the guy wants to do (as in weld on a lump and get filing). he just wants to know at what point to stop filing to reveal the bayonet lug hiding inside the blob of weld :D

That's what the guy wants to do (as in weld on a lump and get filing). he just wants to know at what point to stop filing to reveal the bayonet lug hiding inside the blob of weld :D
I'd recommend a new one. They do exist but if he has the bayonet he could get by without any gauges.

Id expect it to be removed first!
Isn't the lug welded to the barrel of the No. 5 in the first place? (Edit; no, it isn't) If so, he might be better off fixing a lug with epoxy resin or something, unless he intends to use the bayonet. It may fall off when the barrel gets hot.

ISTR a Sterling bayonet fits it, or the MOD bayonets were from the No. 5. The big ring on the SMG bayonet seems to have been intended to use stocks of redundant No 5 bayonets. Maybe you could get the dimensions, or even a whole lug, from a scrap SMG if that's correct. They were liable to get bent. :oops:

Last edited:
Isn't the lug welded to the barrel of the No. 5 in the first place?

Nope. It's part of the flash suppressor / foresight base

1521281771513.png

I see now, I've never seen a No. 5. How is that attached to the barrel? Pressed on?

The assembly is pressed on and then pinned.

They are exceedingly hard to get on and off; many of the service replacement barrels came with them already fitted, and the reproduction ones sold in USA have an enlarged internal diameter to ease fitting (which is why, on bitsa rifles such as "Ishapore jungle carbines", the flash hider often vanishes downrange).

Isn't the lug welded to the barrel of the No. 5 in the first place? If so, he might be better off fixing a lug with epoxy resin or something, unless he intends to use the bayonet. It may fall off when the barrel gets hot.

ISTR a Sterling bayonet fits it, or the MOD bayonets were from the No. 5. The big ring on the SMG bayonet seems to have been intended to use stocks of redundant No 5 bayonets. Maybe you could get the dimensions, or even a whole lug, from a scrap SMG if that's correct. They were liable to get bent. :oops:
I've heard the opposite, the rings are slightly larger but the internet disagrees with me. I suspect the tales were to stop troops signing out the wooden handled ones instead of the black pattern.
Who knows with arms cote men being odd as they are!