Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dilemma - what should I do?

As I said, the GP knew me mum. I may have been marginal. It was nearly 44 years ago.

I believe there are others who have questioned the accuracy of an Ishihari. But I may very well be wrong. Tell them you want a second opinion. Worst that can happen, you fail again.

I had a similar issue when joining up.

Ishihara said I was red green colourblind - news to me as I never had any issues with colours until you stick those vomit inducing dots in front of me then I can give about 4 possible answers.

Recruiting Sgt looked at the results wasn't happy and then referred me to a consultant who passed me as fine. Ishihara isn't suited to everyone, which is unfortunate when so many take it as the only test.

Police were using City Test when I joined and I recall having an argument with the optician and pulled out Ihshiara and then spent his time flipping through the pages sighing as I gave my selection of answers clearly deciding that I could only see black and white. I pointed out that they wanted City test which he obviously didn't have and basically bullied him into signing me off.

Learn how to spell properly before you go. I noticed in a few posts you spelled - sergeant wrongly and spelled it as sargent. Also you really should use a spell checker and learn what words need to be started with uppercase. Your spelling is very poor for someone who claims to be 'highly educated'. Not to mention your use of punctuation - you seem to miss out putting apostrophes in quite a few places where they are supposed to be.

Plus you do come across as a bit of a 'twat', and not someone that I would possibly want to trust with highly sensitive information, where people's lives could hang in the balance.

Punctuation can save a life, examples below:
Let's eat mum!
Let's eat, mum!

Imagine looking at the side effects of a tablet you may need to take:
Unable to eat diarrhoea. (why would you want to eat that?)
Unable to eat, diarrhoea.

That's why you need to learn to spell and have correct punctuation - those sentences mean totally different things.

Why am I a ‘bit of a twat’? and why did you put ‘twat’ in quotation marks?

What do you mean?
Look at what I quoted, you were saying that its poor form for someone to judge you on five or six posts but the recruiter will spend less time with you than we have! He will no doubt form an opinion and it may not be favourable.
Will you cope dear or will you need a safe place?

Love how some of you can assess a person through 5 or 6 posts on an internet forum full of trolls haha. Thanks man you’ve made my day

What you write and how you write it, even across 5 or 6 posts, is very revealing to the trained and experienced eye; even more so if the writer doesn't know why.

I'm surprised that anyone who aspires to the Intelligence Corps would need to be told that.

Look at what I quoted, you were saying that its poor form for someone to judge you on five or six posts but the recruiter will spend less time with you than we have! He will no doubt form an opinion and it may not be favourable.
Will you cope dear or will you need a safe place?

Bullshit aside, I came on this thread because I want to join up. I was pretty panicked that my application was dead im the water and wanted to seek first hand advice from people who are/ have been in the army about what my options are and how best to proceed. I have received exactly that here which is great.

As you can see even from this thread alone, the anecodotal accounts are enough to create the impression that the tests are flexible based on the army’s need or want or an applicant which made me simply float the prospect (in a safe, informal and hypothetical environment) whether, given this slap dash approach, it was even an option to pass through creative means. It is clear given the answers that no it’s not, and just because I am colourblind (or failed the ashihara test, from what it seems in some of these posts this doesnt mean its conclusive??) doesn’t write me off and there may well be many other options available. Even if there aren’t any options for me in the army I can say I tried, which is more than others can say in trying to serve their country (as cringe or as cliche as it might appear written here).

The opinions of my character are perfectly fine too but that is not the question i asked nor why I posted. I do feel some of them are unfair given the context I alluded to that I was merely putting the feelers out given the extensive anecdotal accounts which pretty much say their careers were forged pretty much on this alone! I appreciate the army, like all industries, has come a long way since these times. I have taken on board these comments and said I will take the reverse approach selection candidly and see what, if any, options are left. Why I am supposedly some sort of scoundrel for asking a question, and then later completely taking on board the feedback given, I don’t know.

Last edited:
What you write and how you write it, even across 5 or 6 posts, is very revealing to the trained and experienced eye; even more so if the writer doesn't know why.

I'm surprised that anyone who aspires to the Intelligence Corps would need to be told that.
No person who genuinely claims to work in intelligence, investigation or psychiatric related job could conclude they have made a robust assessment of somebody’s character in 6 posts, first impressions sure.

Don’t worry on assessment day Ill be very charming and polite. In truth I was confused by this type of post comment as servicemen who work in teams with loads of different people but somehow assume everybody has severe autism and cannot have more than one shade of personality or mood.

Most of it is them wanting to knock me down a few pegs and probably genuinely think im a **** for not coming across the way they would have liked. That’s perfectly fine but it has no relevance to the question of my OP or the actual recruitment process.

I do wonder about the OP.

Claims he has 6/6 vision and yet wears reading glasses.
Claims he is well educated and yet shows appalling grammar and spelling.
Claims he is up for service life and yet displays a very poor attitude and lack of a sense of humour and banter.
Claims he wants to cheat to gain entry, thereby putting others at risk and then rescinds that by saying it was not really meant.
Claims he has existing skills that are ideal and most suited to INT Corps and while he would be interested in other roles he feels he would have less scope to really impress or show full potential.

After reviewing the evidence posted here over 48 hours, including the last post #100 by the OP which made very little sense, displayed poor grammar and intimated further lack of integrity and knowledge, I agree with @ugly and conclude the OP is a tw*t.

We look forward to the sharing of the results of the assessment.

No, I never claimed that.

I have passed eye tests. I wear glasses at times and I do not have perfect vision. I also have red green deficiency. I had to take board of trade test and passed, much to the relief of the recruiters who wanted my skillset, so I know what you'll be facing and I know how the system works.

As for psychiatry, I fail to see where that comes in to the discussion unless you have previous experience of counselling.

As for being a STEM major, well done you. Are you a member of any professional institutions as that is the validity?

You may find that in future life, if you write reports with your current style and lack of grammar they will be pushed back or ignored.

No, I never claimed that.

I have passed eye tests. I wear glasses at times and I do not have perfect vision. I also have red green deficiency. I had to take board of trade test and passed, much to the relief of the recruiters who wanted my skillset, so I know what you'll be facing and I know how the system works.

As for psychiatry, I fail to see where that comes in to the discussion unless you have previous experience of counselling.

As for being a STEM major, well done you. Are you a member of any professional institutions as that is the validity?

You may find that in future life, if you write reports with your current style and lack of grammar they will be pushed back or ignored.

You can have 6/6 vision and wear glasses. It seems counter intuitive but any optician will tell you this can be the case.

As for this grammar thing, I am shooting stuff off on a smartphone just to get information, I am not too bothered if I don’t come across like the PM on an anon internet forum. I write government reports most weekdays, make sure I proof read them and send them off fine. Again wider context is everything.

Yes I am chartered in my field too. Again not that it means sod all or that it has any relevance to this topic.

Last edited: