Dilemma - what should I do?

It would be hard to say without actually demonstrating examples to somebody. Its easy to say oh yes that would be easy peasy but I dont want to bullshit as I appreciate you are highlighting the need for reliability in that area.

If I attend a drill night, satisfy the sargent of my colour competence and tell the medical team that he believes ill be fit for the job (lets assume) then do you think that would have any baring at all?
Learning how to differ between baring (nakedness) and bearing (compass or relevance) would be more of a barrier to competence in intelligence.

Yeah I appreciate that, I was just asking from your personal experience/opinion. Naturally it was some time ago and as you rightly say would have no baring in my situation.
What is this with the nakedness? DV vetting will find out...

My assessment day is this weekend. Ill let you all know how it goes for better or for worse but please dont trigger me as I am fresh out of uni and my marxist professor hasn’t trained me to accept challenge yet.

Hello lads and ladettes,

I have been lurking in these threads for a few months and finally decided to create an account to seek urgent advice.

A little bit about me; I am 24, well educated (which means sq root of sod all i know), reasonably fit and really wanted to join the army to learn new skills and give what skills i feel I do have back.

I have really wanted to join the INT Corps but realise I am colourblind red/green after a routine trip to the opticians as per my medical (as I wear reading glasses very occasionally but have 6/6 vision). This has basically barred me from the INT corps.

I feel really lost now as I had my heart set on the ints and they are one of the close units to where I live meaning I can devote far more time. The question I want to ask is what should i do? How do i know what will be the right fit for me and whether Ill fit in with that unit? I still havent done the assessment day yet and ive read a few threads about cheating the colour perception test... whether thats even a possibility or if its an option.. are there any exceptions? Im very lost but desperate too..

Any advice or customary piss taking would be welcome! Thanks
This is not a piss take, had a geography teacher who was colour blind in school in 5th form or year 12 or whatever they call it now and when he done a map reading lesson we took great fun in asking him for things of colour on the map and what they were. No use to you but best of luck if you find your vocation in the armed forces.

My assessment day is this weekend. Ill let you all know how it goes for better or for worse but please dont trigger me as I am fresh out of uni and my marxist professor hasn’t trained me to accept challenge yet.
Learn how to spell properly before you go. I noticed in a few posts you spelled - sergeant wrongly and spelled it as sargent. Also you really should use a spell checker and learn what words need to be started with uppercase. Your spelling is very poor for someone who claims to be 'highly educated'. Not to mention your use of punctuation - you seem to miss out putting apostrophes in quite a few places where they are supposed to be.

Plus you do come across as a bit of a 'twat', and not someone that I would possibly want to trust with highly sensitive information, where people's lives could hang in the balance.

Punctuation can save a life, examples below:
Let's eat mum!
Let's eat, mum!

Imagine looking at the side effects of a tablet you may need to take:
Unable to eat diarrhoea. (why would you want to eat that?)
Unable to eat, diarrhoea.

That's why you need to learn to spell and have correct punctuation - those sentences mean totally different things.

Last edited:
Pics or it didn't happen.
I am not sure I want to see the OP baring! You may of course feel differently. He's offered in two posts.

In your own time ....

Blaming someone else? That will work well.

As I said, the GP knew me mum. I may have been marginal. It was nearly 44 years ago.

I believe there are others who have questioned the accuracy of an Ishihari. But I may very well be wrong. Tell them you want a second opinion. Worst that can happen, you fail again.
I had a similar issue when joining up.

Ishihara said I was red green colourblind - news to me as I never had any issues with colours until you stick those vomit inducing dots in front of me then I can give about 4 possible answers.

Recruiting Sgt looked at the results wasn't happy and then referred me to a consultant who passed me as fine. Ishihara isn't suited to everyone, which is unfortunate when so many take it as the only test.

Police were using City Test when I joined and I recall having an argument with the optician and pulled out Ihshiara and then spent his time flipping through the pages sighing as I gave my selection of answers clearly deciding that I could only see black and white. I pointed out that they wanted City test which he obviously didn't have and basically bullied him into signing me off.

ugly

LE
Love how some of you can assess a person through 5 or 6 posts on an internet forum full of trolls haha. Thanks man you’ve made my day
How many goes do you think the recruiter will give you?

Learn how to spell properly before you go. I noticed in a few posts you spelled - sergeant wrongly and spelled it as sargent. Also you really should use a spell checker and learn what words need to be started with uppercase. Your spelling is very poor for someone who claims to be 'highly educated'. Not to mention your use of punctuation - you seem to miss out putting apostrophes in quite a few places where they are supposed to be.

Plus you do come across as a bit of a 'twat', and not someone that I would possibly want to trust with highly sensitive information, where people's lives could hang in the balance.

Punctuation can save a life, examples below:
Let's eat mum!
Let's eat, mum!

Imagine looking at the side effects of a tablet you may need to take:
Unable to eat diarrhoea. (why would you want to eat that?)
Unable to eat, diarrhoea.

That's why you need to learn to spell and have correct punctuation - those sentences mean totally different things.
Why am I a ‘bit of a twat’? and why did you put ‘twat’ in quotation marks?

ugly

LE
I only intend to apply once, If he says you’re not what we’re looking for then thats the way it goes.
I was thinking before he decided on what you were?

ugly

LE
Look at what I quoted, you were saying that its poor form for someone to judge you on five or six posts but the recruiter will spend less time with you than we have! He will no doubt form an opinion and it may not be favourable.
Will you cope dear or will you need a safe place?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Love how some of you can assess a person through 5 or 6 posts on an internet forum full of trolls haha. Thanks man you’ve made my day
What you write and how you write it, even across 5 or 6 posts, is very revealing to the trained and experienced eye; even more so if the writer doesn't know why.

I'm surprised that anyone who aspires to the Intelligence Corps would need to be told that.

Look at what I quoted, you were saying that its poor form for someone to judge you on five or six posts but the recruiter will spend less time with you than we have! He will no doubt form an opinion and it may not be favourable.
Will you cope dear or will you need a safe place?
Bullshit aside, I came on this thread because I want to join up. I was pretty panicked that my application was dead im the water and wanted to seek first hand advice from people who are/ have been in the army about what my options are and how best to proceed. I have received exactly that here which is great.

As you can see even from this thread alone, the anecodotal accounts are enough to create the impression that the tests are flexible based on the army’s need or want or an applicant which made me simply float the prospect (in a safe, informal and hypothetical environment) whether, given this slap dash approach, it was even an option to pass through creative means. It is clear given the answers that no it’s not, and just because I am colourblind (or failed the ashihara test, from what it seems in some of these posts this doesnt mean its conclusive??) doesn’t write me off and there may well be many other options available. Even if there aren’t any options for me in the army I can say I tried, which is more than others can say in trying to serve their country (as cringe or as cliche as it might appear written here).

The opinions of my character are perfectly fine too but that is not the question i asked nor why I posted. I do feel some of them are unfair given the context I alluded to that I was merely putting the feelers out given the extensive anecdotal accounts which pretty much say their careers were forged pretty much on this alone! I appreciate the army, like all industries, has come a long way since these times. I have taken on board these comments and said I will take the reverse approach selection candidly and see what, if any, options are left. Why I am supposedly some sort of scoundrel for asking a question, and then later completely taking on board the feedback given, I don’t know.

Last edited:
What you write and how you write it, even across 5 or 6 posts, is very revealing to the trained and experienced eye; even more so if the writer doesn't know why.

I'm surprised that anyone who aspires to the Intelligence Corps would need to be told that.
No person who genuinely claims to work in intelligence, investigation or psychiatric related job could conclude they have made a robust assessment of somebody’s character in 6 posts, first impressions sure.

Don’t worry on assessment day Ill be very charming and polite. In truth I was confused by this type of post comment as servicemen who work in teams with loads of different people but somehow assume everybody has severe autism and cannot have more than one shade of personality or mood.

Most of it is them wanting to knock me down a few pegs and probably genuinely think im a **** for not coming across the way they would have liked. That’s perfectly fine but it has no relevance to the question of my OP or the actual recruitment process.