Dilemma - what should I do?

Hello lads and ladettes,

I have been lurking in these threads for a few months and finally decided to create an account to seek urgent advice.

A little bit about me; I am 24, well educated (which means sq root of sod all i know), reasonably fit and really wanted to join the army to learn new skills and give what skills i feel I do have back.

I have really wanted to join the INT Corps but realise I am colourblind red/green after a routine trip to the opticians as per my medical (as I wear reading glasses very occasionally but have 6/6 vision). This has basically barred me from the INT corps.

I feel really lost now as I had my heart set on the ints and they are one of the close units to where I live meaning I can devote far more time. The question I want to ask is what should i do? How do i know what will be the right fit for me and whether Ill fit in with that unit? I still havent done the assessment day yet and ive read a few threads about cheating the colour perception test... whether thats even a possibility or if its an option.. are there any exceptions? Im very lost but desperate too..

Any advice or customary piss taking would be welcome! Thanks

Last edited:
Hello lads and ladettes,

I have been lurking in these threada for a few months and finally decided to create an account to seek urgent advice.

A little bit about me; I am 24, well educated (which meana sq root of sod all i know), reasonably fit and really wanted to join the army to learn new skills and use what skills i feel I do have back.

I have really wanted to join the INT Corps but realise I am colourblind red/green after a routine trip to the opticians as per my medical (as I wear reading glasses very occasionally but have 6/6 vision). This has basically barred me from the INT corps.

I feel really lost now as I had my heart set on the ints and they are one of the close units to where I live meaning I can devote far more time. The question I want to ask is what should i do? How do i know what will be the right fit for me and whether Ill fit in with that unit? I still havent done the assessment day yet and ive read a few threads about cheating the colour perception test... whether thats even a possibility or if its an option.. are there any exceptions? Im very lost but desperate too..

Any advice or customary piss taking would be welcome! Thanks

The first thing you should do is edit the thread title to correct the spelling, it might cut down on the piss-taking!

There are plenty of other things you can do but to some extent it will depend on your colour blindness. One of the most common is red / green which can be a real bummer.

At the OP - you do know that when you say that you're 'well' educated, that you should really correct your post and substitute all your lower case i to uppercase I? It makes you look not as 'well' educated than you believe that you are, especially as you wanted to join the intelligence corps. Also you should use an apostrophe in I've - it's not ive. You have other grammatical errors - so if you don't want to appear dense, you'd probably be better off fixing those as well.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
At the OP - you do know that when you say that you're 'well' educated, that you should really correct your post and substitute all your lower case i to uppercase I? It makes you look not as 'well' educated than you believe that you are, especially as you wanted to join the intelligence corps. Also you should use an apostrophe in I've - it's not ive. You have other grammatical errors - so if you don't want to appear dense, you'd probably be better off fixing those as well.
Intelligence Corps - capital letters
That, not than.
Just pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited:
Didn't realise I was writing an english literature essay on a text based, emoiji board friendly forum for advice. What’s with this ‘wait 45 mins before you can post again’ milarky?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Didn't realise I was writing an english literature essay on a text based, emoiji board friendly forum for advice. What’s with this ‘wait 45 mins before you can post again’ milarky?
Because you're a newbie.

Intelligence Corps - capital letters
That, not than.
Just pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't thrown stones.
Thrown?

To give some slightly more serious advice than I gave above, the Int Corps standards are high. Other ranks are very often educated to degree level and I have met even junior soldiers with second degrees. They're in a business where getting your case across clearly and accurately matters. If "writing and an English literature essay" isn't your thing then you might be looking in the wrong place. Work by even Int Corps juniors gets read by senior people: dodgy English will make them regard the assessment in the same light. Lecture over.

There are plenty of other jobs in the army, so do look wider. Finally, don't try to cheat the tests as truth will out, and quite often in circumstances that aren't funny

It's a game of throwns.
We definitely need a Groan button on the likes. So have one.

OP, as said there are many jobs you could find fulfilling. Make a list of the reasons why you want Int Corps and then compare those reasons to the other possibilities, you may be surprised.

So why do you have your heart set on I Corps?

We definitely need a Groan button on the likes. So have one.

OP, as said there are many jobs you could find fulfilling. Make a list of the reasons why you want Int Corps and then compare those reasons to the other possibilities, you may be surprised.

So why do you have your heart set on I Corps?
Thanks for your constructive feedback. Some of the main reasons for wanting to join the INT Corps are:

- The development and training opportunities would be very close to my personal and academic interests.

- Some of the qualifications gained through the INT would open a lot of doors in my civvie life.

- Many of my existing skills are ideal and most suited to INT Corps. While I would be interested in other roles I feel I would have less scope to really impress or show my full potential.

- I would really like DV clearance and INT is one (but not only) corps that offer it.

- The INT corps is approximately 20 miles from my home, there is one other unit nearby but it is definitely not what I want to do despite plenty of consideration. Other units like RMP and Signals are at least 70 miles away which make it far more difficult to attend drill nights weekly around my civvie worklife.

Those are the reasons that stick out but there are others. Ill be honest (and it must show) that I am rather naive of this stuff but I am a little worried about going to the careers centre incase they just try to shoe horn me into something that I really won’t fit.

Another thing that is really annoying is I know a friend of a friend who got in with no checks from the OTC who is colour blind. So there is this BS loophole and from several people on here in the same situation(were colour blind who got in through failures/lapses in medical checks) who I have seen comment on here and say it doesn’t/didn’t affect his ability to do the job one bit.. but there is no point bitching about it, thats life.. unless somebody knows of any exemptions or allowances if i am CP3?

Last edited:
I assume that you understand what a DV vetting entails? The glib answer is "yes, they want to know everything".

The reality is, DV vetting is a thorough investigation of your life in ways you will find extremely uncomfortable. If something is uncovered that you did not admit prior to the process, you had better have a very, very good explanation.

Yet you want to 'cheat' the colour perception test. When this is discovered - and it will be - how will you explain it? It is highly unlikely that even in role such as Infantry you would be allowed to soldier on; a) you do not meet the required standard, b) you have just shown a lack of integrity.

In a DV role, it's curtains as you have just demonstrated that you cannot be trusted.

You have to realise that the Army has standards, and if you do not meet them then you cannot join.