Discussion in 'REME' started by joeyball, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the recruiting office today and found the job i wanted to do has a waiting list of about a year (electronic/avionics tech) so i decided id look at another job. I looked at both Armourer and aircraft tech. Peoples thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Ask yourself if you're prepared to wait up to 12 months for a job you want to do for 22 (24 nowadays) years, or to plump for a readily available job that you're going to be unhappy with, and sign off as soon as possible.

Appreciated you may be eager to get in, but don't be hasty. If the job you want has a waiting list, then wait.
  3. Thats a valid point, the thing is i had them down as 2 and 3 and would like to do any of the 3 jobs! Just that the avionics/electrical tech was the "first choice" I would love to do any of the jobs, i am now just wandering what people seem to think of the others!

4. Sorry for another question, are armourers really the social outcasts people make them out to be? The army appeals to me strongly because of the great friends you make and this is important in my decision.

Many thanks
  5. Joeyball,

Take everything you read on here with a pinch of salt, it's only banter of which there is plenty in REME. you'll need to bring a sense of humour with you when you join the Army, but you will have a fantastic time.

And yes, Armourers are social outcasts. :D just like all the other trades depending on who you speak to.

6. Joeyball,

buryfc66 has got it absolutley right. You can always drop REME's Senior Personnel Selection Officer (SPSO) an email for further info - visit the REME web. Good luck and enjoy.
  7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Joey - check PM.
  8. There's a year waiting list for greenies??????????
    Where are all the bloody class 3s then. Are they all bveing sent to apache units?????? I haven't seen any new blood for years!!! I've forgotten when I last did the K9P grease gag!!!!!!
  9. Go for the Tech trades every time. Better cash and better promotion rates and opportunities to advance. The main downside is limitations on posting locations.

Aircraft is a better job than avionics anyway, and you don't get labelled a "useless nerd"! You get given management responsibility instead of being shoved into a "greenie" bay and people generally respect you instead of treating you like a leper. :D

Objectively speaking of course!!! :wink: :wink:
  10. Typical of your knuckle-dragging, hairy palmed, cousin shagging, webbed fingered blackie!! By all means become a blackie and spend the rest of your career trying to forget that you failed the greenie course!! :wink:
  11. Gary K wrote:

'Go for the Tech trades every time. Better cash and better promotion rates and opportunities to advance. The main downside is limitations on posting locations'.

Seems to me that in more recent years, and now at the twilight of my career, I've noticed how too many of those 'early promoters with a little more pay' have not reached their full potential given their intellectual strengths. Add to this the considerably limited ability to serve at 1st Line alongside what the Army's all about, the general trend to work in 'workshop' groups and conditions, the lack of range in postings and the financial rebalancing under Pay 2000 and I wonder whether the modern technician knows what he's letting himself in for. That said, if you are going to go, then I suggest Armoured Systems Engineer, although I believe you cannot fully stream this way until your Class 1 and even then you cannot guarantee it.
  12. Plenty of wonk mags in the armourers shop. ayou should have a blissful time.
  13. I've found that draping hessian over the workshop door keeps prying eyes away from the armourers shop too.
  14. If you don't succeed at going tech, then armourer - as they should bite your hand off in the recruiting office - we need more!
  15. You have a PM