DII - Just curious

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by putteesinmyhands, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you hover the cursor over the drop-down menus at the top of the page (ARRSE, Shop, More ARRSE, etc), the drop-down menu appears and remains appeared until you take the cursor away.

But if you hover the cursor over the dii menu, an information box appears (because there's no drop-down menu?). Leave the cursor there for about 5 seconds and the info box not only disappears, but you can't get it back unless you refresh the page (or move onto a different one).

Is there a reason for this?

Obviously there's a firkin reason, but I'm wondering whether it's an intentional reason.

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm sure there is, but I'm buggered if I know what it is! I think the whole DII thing is an MOD sponsored programme to get me to give up and turn the power off. I will been looking at the menu again in the coming months to try and make it a bit more logical and user friendly so I'll look at it at the same time. No Windows PC at the moment so can't check.

3. The DII issues are mainly to do with the security on the RLI and aren't confined just to (f) users. DFTS block a number of applications and ports as part of it's content filter. I doesn't just affect arrse but also a number of other sites to, some bank web sites and the OU website spring to mind as other sites that won't display correctly at times.

4. My internet banking site is another. DII causes it to return to the logon screen after the memorable information drop down boxes.

5. But I'm not on DII, so RLI and DFTS (whatever they are) shouldn't affect me (presumably).

6. Putty

If you are using an MOD system then you'll be attached to the RLI (The wide area network) which is supplied by DFTS (a BT contract) no matter what system you use, CASH DII(F), DII(C),DAWN LCDN, NavyNet, etc etc etc. If it's your own ISP........... can't help you mate

7. And I thought that I was only two acronyms behind the rest of society....

Cheers, mate.