Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

DII and EDS the future?

EDS was sued by the Inland revenue in 2005 for it's flawed IT outsourcing to EDS. Seems EDS settled out of court and finally paid back a lump sum to HMRC of £25m of the £71.25m claimed. The question is how much longer until the MOD get EDS into court over DII(F)?

EDS Cough Up

The most worrying quote from the article seems to indicate a little more than a few back hander's were on the table for more government contracts.

"We were not supposed to know either that more than £26m of the compensation was subject to EDS's winning future UK government contracts. In fact, EDS did not win as much business as it had expected and its payments to HMRC trickled in."

I do have a little sympathy for EDS (possibly against my better judgement) because although they have fcuked things up across a whole raft of public sector contracts the civil service is as much to blame with wooly thinking and unrealistic expectations of what a commercial organisations whose first duty is to its shareholders is going to do.

Like the article says, its probably a good will gesture to clear the decks and allow themselves back into the club of outsource organisations lining up to take a big fat slice of Gordons public sector largesse that is coming up

The public sector still hasn't realised that when you outsource something the organisations doing the job do not have a public service ethos but a profit ethos, thats why they invariably do not meet expectations because EDS and their ilk aren't in business to cover mistakes, go the extra mile or anything other than what is written into the contract.

You want something else, pay me

We're neatly caught now. Although there are big problems with DII transition etc etc - we're moving in the right direction. If EDS goes bust for whatever reason, then we really would be proper f*cked.

EDS are owned by General Motors who are in serious financial difficulties at the moment and are waiting for a Goverment handout .

I thought Hewlett Packard just bought EDS, hence them seeing the bigger picture and coughing up, in order to get back into the Governments good books for the forthcoming splurge in public spending