Digitally Remastered!

I have some (9mm) Sony Camcorder film that a few years ago I used a USB tool that converted AV and Sound to digital from which I created a video.

It probably over 15 years and the digital version is absolutely crap.

Is there a way to take 9mm film from a Sony Camcorder to a 2k style (just decent looking) digital video and audio?

I have some (9mm) Sony Camcorder film that a few years ago I used a USB tool that converted AV and Sound to digital from which I created a video.

It probably over 15 years and the digital version is absolutely crap.

Is there a way to take 9mm film from a Sony Camcorder to a 2k style (just decent looking) digital video and audio?

You might have to resign yourself to the fact that digital from analog tape (especially if interlaced) is not going to look great, no matter what you use for capture. There's only a certain amount of information stored on the tape, and for 8mm PAL it's pretty low compared to 2K. So don't go crazy spending cash (if you were thinking of that!)

I remember the first time I captured something and then checked it on my monitor, being shocked at just how dreadful it looked. I think I spent half the day convinced something was wrong with the set up.

Having said that, there are also some software tools for things like interlacing removal, sharpening, etc. Sometimes you get half decent results, sometimes you don't.

Thanks, judging from both your posts, I probably used a crap USB converter borrowed from my father in law, so I could improve it by sending to the local camera house to convert it. Then maybe there is software to improve it further.

This is a still from the video:

Camcorder Capture.JPG

As long as the USB/Firewire capture device is of a certain basic quality, you would be okay, I think. Spending more would not see a huge jump in quality.

One of the main things would be that you used capture software that allowed you to set the data rate you are capturing at, and obviously you whack that up to the max your system can handle.

Use S-video connection from playback deck to capture, if possible, as that does give better quality.

Composite Video vs S-video - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

The "limiting factor", so to speak, tends to be what is on the tape. In that sense, if might be worth ensuring that the 8mm tape deck is nice and clean and tip top, especially the heads.

How to Transfer Your Videotapes to Your Computer | DisableMyCable Blog

Of course, if you can find a local studio/post production house that can do it for you, that's ideal, saves a lot of hassle for a one off.

Convert Video Tapes to DVD: Camcorder Mini DV, Hi8 VCR Tape to DVD Transfer Service - Digital Converters

Video to DVD, VHS to DVD, Transfer Video to DVD

Convert VHS to DVD or USB | Video to DVD | ASDA photo

There's software like this:

Buy Red Giant Shooter Instant 4K | Video Resolution Conversion Plugin for Premiere Pro & After Effects

Of course, there's always lots of grand claims made for this stuff ... reality tends to be a bit more, well, realistic.

Going by the screen grab you've posted, that looks pretty standard for video camera PAL.

Good luck getting your video captured!

Latest Threads