Digital Motors? Eh?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Legs, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Silly question from one who thinks that a Parker 45 is a technological marvel:

WTF is a digital motor?

Digital watch I get - numbers flash on the face instead of hands whizzing around. Digital TV - Easy, more channels because the signal is smaller than the analogue signal. Digital radio ditto.

So what is a digital motor? Has James Dyson made something amazing, or is it just a normal motor with a high tech name?

2. Explanation from the Dyson site

Apparently lighter and more technologically advanced materials allow the motor to spin much, much faster than a normal electric motor.

3. So it's a squirrel cage motor with digital switching?

4. Hmmm from what i can gather current electrical motors have brushes which constantly connect the power supply to the actually spiny bit. With the digital motor the connections are not in constant contact but rather at fixed points only sending an electrical current when in alignment.

Normally this would be a problem as when they are in contact the spiny bit accelerates away from the contact points then slows down as it approaches them again meaning a "fast, slow, fast, slow, fast... " movement to the spiny bit. But this thing spins so fast that it doesn't have a change to slow down. They claim the thing is going at 600mph, speed of sound is 760mph, so giving the distance it has to spin in your hoover that is not very much down time.

5. I don't get this either - brushless motors have been around for some time, and stepping motors have as well. What's so innovative about this motor?

6. All of Dyson's "innovations" have been around for some time. His greatest invention is of himself as an inventor.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Jesus. Do I have to do everything around here? Digital - it means you can count up to ten. Analogue - it means you are stupid.

Digital engine *Link thing*

8. Ah! Consider me to have 'got it'. :)

9. Twenty. Analogue.

Not to be confused with analog.

10. Really? I'd take back your Ladybird Book of Technical Things, ask for a "Janet and John Go To The Park".

11. TheIronDuke

Ah ****. A fat ginger kiddy fiddler is about to get all hexidecimal on my ass. Any big boys in? HELP.

12. A fat ginger kiddy fiddler? I AM NOT A ******* GINGER/ AFRICAN SUNSET/ STRAWBERRY BLOND/ AUTUMN GLOW OR ANY OTHER ******* EUPHIMISM FOR A ******* GINGER. I have grey hair, that was dark brown once upon a time.

13. Ignorant Yuppie fuckwits will pay lots of money for a plastic thing with a plasticy motor, that's fairly innovative.

From the Dyson link; "And as the carbon brushes wear down, they emit carbon particles, which is bad for the environment."

Oh dear!

Have you ever had cause to look into the 'Recyclable Plastics' skip at your local dump? Dyson mountain.

14. TheIronDuke

Sorry Bud. My mistake. Just in the yearbook you had your pic taken against the sun. And the glint on... Nah. I am sorry. I was wrong. I see that now.

Anybody got a scoobie what the fat four-eyed ginger child molesting serial killer cross dressing spastic putteesinmyhands is on about with his 'Analogue' and 'Analog' bollocks?

I have not. But I am with Patton when he said "We should have sorted putteesinmyhands when we had the tanks there"

Sorry for any offence to spastics or mathematicians or fat four-eyed ginger *****. Or Welsh people.

15. And? I'll (actually wife will) use the vacuum cleaner to collect the carbon particles. It won't cost anything extra as it'll be on anyway.