DIGITAL FILE SIZE REDUCTION.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
With the exception of an Olympus 35RD and my Yashica 124G, I have finally ditched all my wet film kit and bought a reasonable, entry level, digital bridge.

I have a problem, I went out today, around the village, with the Panasonic to give it a run. I had it set up for max. quality and I wanted to upload some stuff to the War Memorials thread. I was very pleased with the results until I came to the upload, when the file size was too big. I then spent 2 hours reducing the size in order to post them using a "hookey" copy of Photoshop Elements.

What is the quickest way to reduce the file size in order to upload? Do it in the camera before taking the shot? Fiddle about in Elements to reduce the size, or what?

There must be a quicker way, help!!

I'm sure there are plenty of ways. If you don't want to use dodgy versions of software, consider the GNU Image Manipulation Program (aka GIMP) - ignore the name and it's a pretty powerful bit of software for free:

Use whatever process works for you. I copy images to PC, open them up in GIMP, resize them as appropriate (Image / Scale Image from the menu) - generally I set a width (1024 or whatever), let the software choose the height and save the new file (File / Export As) as <original-name>-small.png to upload.

If you are using RAW files, you'll probably need a plugin, and that is probably specific to the camera manufacturer.

If you saving files in RAW format, you get the best quality image, and can do more in Photoshop/GIMP. But, if you take well exposed images in the first place, and aren't expecting to do much post processing, then lots of camera manufacturers say in-camera RAW to JPEG conversion is better because their firmware is designed for just that camera. And Jpeg files will be much smaller.

A really simple way of doing it is to email the files to yourself and take the size reduction options offered.

I email pictures to myself from my iPhone and take the middle option (usually about 500kb) to get them below the 2Mb limit on ARRSE (in my experience it is actually a bit lower than that).

This is far simpler than using software (which I have) and leaves me with the single higher quality image.

With the exception of an Olympus 35RD and my Yashica 124G, I have finally ditched all my wet film kit and bought a reasonable, entry level, digital bridge.

I have a problem, I went out today, around the village, with the Panasonic to give it a run. I had it set up for max. quality and I wanted to upload some stuff to the War Memorials thread. I was very pleased with the results until I came to the upload, when the file size was too big. I then spent 2 hours reducing the size in order to post them using a "hookey" copy of Photoshop Elements.

What is the quickest way to reduce the file size in order to upload? Do it in the camera before taking the shot? Fiddle about in Elements to reduce the size, or what?

There must be a quicker way, help!!
Definately don’t downgrade your settings in camera, and just downsize a copy for uploads .
There was a recent thread with some suggestions here:

Check out your camera manual for options such as whether or not it can take two memory cards or if it supports a mode such as RAW + JPEG
That would save the ‘fully featured’ RAW and a compressed JPEG, but they would still be both at the highest proportion so you would most likely still need to downsize the dimensions to upload here

When I use my decent camera it allows me to use 2 cards and I have it set to save original RAW on my main card plus a JPEG copy on the other card which is WiFi enabled. That gives me the option of transferring selected images to my phone for Facebook etc before I get home and go through it all properly

OP should give up his life of crime and purchase Affinity Pro. Top spec image engine for only £50 one off payment. Free one month trial. Mac/pc -

Bit late to the party but free Faststone Image Viewer as mentioned upthread has some excellent tools for minor photo editing. Resizing (up or down), batch renaming, cropping, adjusting light & color levels, adding text, watermarking and a bunch of other stuff like creating silly memes for Arrse threads.

After making changes save as a different file name and keep the original intact. You never know when you need the original again.

Try and keep a resized image the same resolution or slightly higher than your PC screen rez.

Latest Threads